Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   77 in MP1 vs one EP limper (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=347079)

GoodOL 09-29-2005 05:35 PM

77 in MP1 vs one EP limper

How do you guys play 77 in middle position (MP1) when there is one EP limper. I raise if I know the limper to be a weak player and those behind me are tight. If the table is loose, I tend to limp. But what do you do when you don't have a beat on the table yet? Do you ever fold in this spot?

InfernoLL 09-29-2005 05:54 PM

Re: 77 in MP1 vs one EP limper

Folding is ridiculous if you don't have a feel for the table yet. I think it's ridiculous in any situation. Raise if your playing style demands you take control, limp if you don't mind going to the flop without announcing strength. This really depends on how you prefer to play, as limping or raising probably have a similar chance of being good or bad at an unknown table, and may not be much different in many cases anyway.

GoodOL 09-30-2005 12:15 PM

Does anyone ever fold here?

amulet 09-30-2005 12:44 PM

Re: ok to fold

if i feel i can not isolate the early limper (based on the game), and i do not think 5 of us will see the flop, i fold 77 here. i think most mid pairs are over played and should be folded more often then they are. if i think i can isolate i raise, or if i think it many will limp if i also limp, then i limp. seems standard, except here.

NMcNasty 09-30-2005 01:57 PM

This is an auto raise for me, I would never think about doing anything else. You have the tenth best hand in holdem and the limper would have raised already if he had a higher pair. I'm probably raising 55 as well. With the smaller pairs its best to just call although there's still some good arguments for both folding and raising.

amulet 09-30-2005 02:02 PM

great way to give away $ at low and middle limits.

bicyclekick 09-30-2005 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is an auto raise for me, I would never think about doing anything else. You have the tenth best hand in holdem and the limper would have raised already if he had a higher pair. I'm probably raising 55 as well. With the smaller pairs its best to just call although there's still some good arguments for both folding and raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless everyone is 00ber tight behind you, limping is the correct play.

[ QUOTE ]
I would never think about doing anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a big problem.

pokerkai 09-30-2005 02:06 PM

isolating out of mp1? its hard to believe, even with some imagination, that youll be successful very often.

NMcNasty 09-30-2005 02:24 PM

Limping in that spot is an extremely weak way to play the tenth best hand in holdem. You're basically conceding your ability to win the pot without a set. The original limper could have 22, 56s, JT, or A3o who knows. There's really no reason to fear a higher pair and surely you would raise with 77 from MP if it was folded to you.

amulet 09-30-2005 02:28 PM

bk is correct and his response was funny too.