Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Calling 3-4x BB raises with position (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=327538)

Brad F. 09-01-2005 11:40 AM

Calling 3-4x BB raises with position

This is a theory question, as I am trying to figure out this part of my game.

Last night, I have $27 dollars at a .10/.25 table on Stars. UTG has $34 dollars and raises to $1.

Villian I have very few stats on, a 29% VPIP in about 110 hands against him.

MP1 calls, and I call on the button with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Blinds fold.

Flop ($3.35): K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG checks, MP1 checks, I check.

Turn ($3.35): 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG bets $2, MP1 folds, I raise to $4.75, UTG reraises to $8, I reraise to $15, and he pushes, I call.

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villian has A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I take down a very nice large pot.

I've been doing this a decent amount lately, so I pull up my pokertracker to lookm at 10-8o on the button and out of 435 times seeing it on the button, I VPIP 201 times and it is a huge EV hand for me, making 3.5 BB/VPIP (this is before importing the session which included the hand in question).

I only raised with it once, so I'm assuming that I'm calling with it when there is a raise before I am to act.

So my question is this: Is this just a small sample size for which I am getting lucky? Do I need to only do this against specific opponents? It seems like people misplay AK, AQ and big pairs enough in this spot to make it +EV.

The villian in this hand obviously berated me for a good 15 minutes after the loss (with no merit, the check on the turn was pretty bad, but I see he was hoping one of us would be with a king).

It just made me wonder if this kind of positional call is standard, risky, and overall + or - EV.

Comments?

Brad

TheWorstPlayer 09-01-2005 11:44 AM

Re: Calling 3-4x BB raises with position

T8o isn't really profitable to call a raise with unless the stacks are very deep and/or the opponents are very bad. Here, for instance, he should have easily priced you out of your marginal draw on the flop and he also should have not paid you off on the turn. In general, it is too loose a call. Make it T8s, and close to 200bb stacks, and it is an easy call. Make it T9s and 100+bb stacks and I think it's a good call, too. You just want to make sure that it is a hand that will have a good chance at flopping a good draw. T8o doesn't really flop that many good draws.

Voltron87 09-01-2005 11:48 AM

you did not play this well. you gave him waaaaaaaaay too many spots to fold on the turn, althought this is 25nl.

you got very lucky. dont do this at 25nl.

yvesaint 09-01-2005 11:51 AM

T8o isn't going to win many pots, multi-way or short-handed, period. Suited, it's much better, make it 98s, and it's a great hand. Double your stacks, and I'll call this every day of the week.

vulturesrow 09-01-2005 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It just made me wonder if this kind of positional call is standard, risky, and overall + or - EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

With this hand, as TWP said, not so good. Suited connectors and small pocket pairs are sort of the "standard" if you will, to include raising with them at times. You need to do this to win big pots at NL but T8o is rather thin call even with position.

djoyce003 09-01-2005 11:56 AM

i'll pretty much echo the rest of the group. It's much better if it's suited. It's really marginal unsuited. Being on the button helps but not with 100 bb stacks...probably need to be deeper to make this a call. Lovely suckout though..he's an idiot. Also when you get a hand like this, you should have pushed to his reraise...it gives him less opportunity to get away from the hand.

If I was him and I saw you check behind on the flop, and then come out raising on the turn, i'd put you on a set or the turned straight, those are the only two hands i'd put you on...you at worst would have 2 pair in this spot and he's a total moron....NH.

maybedinero 09-01-2005 12:01 PM

I don't agree with this at all, Voltron. Very rarely is a reraiser going to fold to a re-reraise in my <=25NL experience. And I think the 4.75 is a nice amount too. Nicely built-up pot.

Brad F. 09-01-2005 12:02 PM

Ya, the guy did play the hand super poorly and I was the beneficiary.

Nice comments thus far. So we are saying that my stats have way too low of a sample size to make an argument for +EV?

It just seems that at .25 NL folks misplay post flop regularly. Because of this I have loosened my game some and seem to be reaping some benefits.

But as it sounds, I should be folding this PF more for sure. I have been VPIP at 28%, which is high I believe.

I'm just trying to tweak out the part of my game in which I've just been getting lucky, and this must be one of them, no?

Brad

maybedinero 09-01-2005 12:04 PM

I disagree with the preflop recommendations here too. At this level (v. good implied odds with a straight vs TPTK or better), long as the blinds don't have PFR > 8% and there aren't any real bullies on the table I call OTB (and CO if button is tight) with any one-gapper 64 or greater. Normally you'll miss, but when you hit you REALLY HIT.

vulturesrow 09-01-2005 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with the preflop recommendations here too. At this level (v. good implied odds with a straight vs TPTK or better), long as the blinds don't have PFR > 8% and there aren't any real bullies on the table I call OTB (and CO if button is tight) with any one-gapper 64 or greater. Normally you'll miss, but when you hit you REALLY HIT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without having seen anyone else stats in this forum, Id be willing to say I am close to the leader in the amount of these implied odds hands played, and Ive even taken some dings for it in hands Ive posted (mostly for playing them OOP), but even I am cringing at this one. I understand your argument but this one is just the wrong scenario.