Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Renting an apartment as a poker player (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=321525)

Michael Davis 08-23-2005 10:58 PM

Renting an apartment as a poker player

Geormiet and I are looking for a nice apartment in LA. Both of us play poker. Last year we were graduate students. We don't want to tell the landlords we play poker, but we don't want to be disqualified either.

Our plan is just to say that I am a student making 15k and that he is a student/musician making 50k, and going from there.

Anyone have any advice for what our best plan of action is? Do we need to come with bank account statement; will account statements be enough to overcome any questions on the part of the landlord?

Thanks.

-Michael

swede123 08-23-2005 11:02 PM

Re: Renting an apartment as a poker player

Every apartment I ever leased I was asked for paystubs for the past two months or so, so I would imagine you would a little bit extra support in terms of having extra savings, some evidence that your buddy is a (paid) musician etc. They may screw you over a bit by requiring a bigger deposit or something so be careful.

Swede

DavidC 08-23-2005 11:05 PM

Tell him you're a pimp. Wear your bling. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Voltron87 08-23-2005 11:06 PM

offer to pay the landlords well in advance with straight cash or a check.

RubberDucky 08-23-2005 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
offer to pay the landlords well in advance with straight cash or a check.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynasty 08-23-2005 11:08 PM

A bank statement showing you have the funds for six months rent should be sufficient.

And, tell the truth. Lying only leads to the potential for more problems.

Voltron87 08-23-2005 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A bank statement showing you have the funds for six months rent should be sufficient.

And, tell the truth. Lying only leads to the potential for more problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

dynasty is right.

whats wrong with telling the truth if you can prove you have the funds to be a good occupant?

slickpoppa 08-23-2005 11:15 PM

Stop being a budget boy and pay it all up front

SomethingClever 08-23-2005 11:16 PM

Why would you tell him you're only making 15k?

08-23-2005 11:21 PM

I recommend searching for a privately owned rental.

Homeowners are typically much more receiptive to these types of arrangements and are often unable to resist advance payments (from the right people).

Present yourself well, be upfront about your activities and do not shy away from personal questions.

The last thing you want is for them to draw conclusions about your possible source of income (drug dealing).