Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Help me to play this hand better. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=119633)

bankrobber42 09-02-2004 12:02 PM

Help me to play this hand better.

I was playing in a NL game with $1 and $2 blinds and was dealt the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I limped in along with four others and was on the button. The flop came back 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG who was the big blind bets 30, 2 folds and I raise to 90. UTG thinks for a while and folds.

I’m thinking I should have probably just called. The only thing that could have beat me at this point was a flush or straight and based on the $30 bet size it was unlikely that this player was on a draw. I think UTG probably had two pair.

Walter 09-02-2004 12:31 PM

Re: Help me to play this hand better.

some questions:
how deep is everyone?
will he bet into a flush board without a flush?
can you lay down a hand if the flush comes?

if the money is short then you might as well be aggressive because people are more likely to call you. if the money is deep, then you need to be aggressive on the flop if you cannot read the opponent for having a flush and you cannot lay down a hand. if you have good control over him, then you can slow down and hope the board pairs, which will give you his stack if your 2 pair read is correct.

If you thought that he was betting two pair, then you made a horrible mistake. You would want to use a betting pattern indicating that you were on a draw, which would encourage him to push if a blank comes on the turn. You could just call or put in a min raise to mimic a draw.

bankrobber42 09-02-2004 01:14 PM

We each had about $300 in front of us. Yes I think he would bet his drawing hands but to put out a $30 raise in a $6 pot seems a little excessive for a flush or straight draw.

YoungPoker2 09-02-2004 01:40 PM

That is very strange that he puts a $30 bet into a $6 pot. I don't think he'd invest $30 on a draw assuming he's a semi-decent player, so calling here is probably the best play. The most optimal straight he can have is an open-ender, so I don't know why you were worried about that. I would say pray that some red dueces fall after you call, then take him for his stack.

Flushed 09-02-2004 01:53 PM

Hey bankrobber,

The bottom line is if the other player is on a draw then he is not getting the proper odds. Especially, since I assume you will jam the turn. He is not getting odds on one card with only 6 dollars in the pot, even with your call. If you can get any sort of a read on him then cold-call the flop and make a healthy bet on the turn when you don't think he hit. Even if a flush does come off, you may be stuck raising b/c the worst thing you can possible do is letting the opponent draw out to a one-card flush cheaply [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img].

Also, consider what sort of a player he is. Would he get concerned that his massively oversized flop bet got smooth-called (I would be)? If he is insenstive to that then wait 'till the turn, but if he will get suspcious and think about folding the turn, then you might as well get your money in on the flop while you are definitely ahead.

Also, I doubt that you folded out two pair in a 1/2 NL; players simply cannot make those laydowns. Two pair, even bottom two, rarely folds on a non-straight, non-flush flop, even if they have a difficult time imagining any that would raise them that they are beating.

- Flushed