Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Heads up poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=359343)

The Truth 10-17-2005 11:28 AM

Heads up poker

I want to develop my heads up game as much as possible.

Anybody got any suggestions? Good posts, books, articles, practice ideas, anything at all.

A coach for a reasonable rate or even a database of heads up hands... something? come on...

-blake

scdavis0 10-17-2005 11:51 AM

Re: Heads up poker

Heads up big bet poker has a whole lot to do with feel. Figuring out what ways opponents are likely to play which hands, when your opponent is steaming (very common HU), understanding hand values in different situations, etc.

You have to implement all sorts of non-standard plays into your game for metagame purposes to protect yourself from giving your hand away in the future (perhaps check/raising the flop with a very strong hand, and then checking the turn).

The single most helpful thing for me was playing the heads up matches on Stars. At the $5-$20 level the play is absolutely terrible and any non-experienced NL player should be able to beat it easily. Once you hit the $50s on up to the $100s, $200s (never played higher than that), you'll run into some solid and tricky opponents.

If you find yourself able to crush the competition in these matches, you should have a large edge in any impromptu side game head up action, where your opponent is likely to have very limited experience.

sisyphus 10-17-2005 11:55 AM

"I want to develop my heads up game as much as possible.

Anybody got any suggestions? Good posts, books, articles, practice ideas, anything at all.

A coach for a reasonable rate or even a database of heads up hands... something? come on..."

I Agree. Ultimately, the only way to master the game, is heads-up.....any computer software?
i suppose the problem is, it is so player dependent.

BobboFitos 10-17-2005 12:48 PM

IMO the stars HU sngs do not correlate to HU cash game play. (Maybe the 10/20 or 15/30 blind level) Dont get me wrong, I love them, but a good HU snger does not make one a good HU cash game player.

BobboFitos 10-17-2005 12:49 PM

there have been a few HU posts, truth, I think neon has posted one or two relatively recently. If you search (Maybe i will, this topic suddenly interests me alot) there have been some. (unfortunately not enough)

scdavis0 10-17-2005 12:57 PM

The 10/20, 15/30 level is 90%+ of the play.

BobboFitos 10-17-2005 01:01 PM

Re: Heads up poker *DELETED*

Post deleted by AZK

BobboFitos 10-17-2005 01:08 PM

Trying to fix them here.

The last one is what messed them up.

fsuplayer 10-17-2005 03:04 PM

you probably wont get much from the guys who play alot of 5/10 or higher HU and SH'd.

The Truth 10-17-2005 03:06 PM

If anybody wants to play some low stakes (like as low as we can find .1-.2? dunno) heads up and work on coaching each other along, drop me a pm. Same thing for limit holdem.

-blake