Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   help the computer illiterate...cell phone as modem? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=244679)

Skipbidder 05-03-2005 03:02 AM

help the computer illiterate...cell phone as modem?

Hello.
I'm old and don't understand how these newfangled computer things work.
It's end-of-cellphone-contract-time.
One of my new phone options includes being able to use the phone as a modem.
Can I play poker this way via laptop?
Are there security issues?
Help a n00b out.
(Yes I did try to search for this and didn't find anything...although I likely screwed that up too.)

Freakin 05-03-2005 05:21 AM

Re: help the computer illiterate...cell phone as modem?

Generally this will not be cost effective. IIRC, you will need WAP from your cell phone provider, and will be paying for data instead of minutes. A cell phone uses digital compression, so using it as a true modem through audio tones will not work.

The best options involve getting a PCMCIA card for your laptop through verizon or cingular and paying for their premium mobile internet services (usually $80/mo for unlimited). I know for Cingular, at least, that their broadband-speeed connections requirea card that is $500-200(with 2 year contract). Or maybe it's only $400-200... Anyways, either that or Wifi are your best options.

Freakin

Stu Pidasso 05-03-2005 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The best options involve getting a PCMCIA card for your laptop through verizon or cingular and paying for their premium mobile internet services (usually $80/mo for unlimited).

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the verizon card and its money well spent. I can play poker anywhere in the city. In fact, I'm using it right now with my laptop to browse this forum.

Stu

Sandstone 05-03-2005 06:18 AM

I have a iPAQ h6315 PocketPC phone. With the built in bluetooth, I can connect it wirelessly to my laptop and use it as a GPRS modem.

How much do I pay? $20 a month for unlimited data from T-Mobile.

Can't beat that.

Skipbidder 05-03-2005 10:17 AM

And the speed available will allow you to play poker?

Sandstone 05-03-2005 10:34 AM

Eh, if I have a good connection, I can. There's definitely a noticable lag, but I think you're going to get that with any Internet connection over a cell network.

Stu Pidasso 05-03-2005 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh, if I have a good connection, I can. There's definitely a noticable lag, but I think you're going to get that with any Internet connection over a cell network.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I get at least 3 bars, I can 4 table no problem. 2 bars and I can still 4 table but I occasionally disconnect for a moment or two(I hardly ever disconnect to the point of using an all in with 2 bars). If I get 4 bars I can watch videos at EbaumsWorld.

One thing that helps is investing in a good external antenna.

Stu