Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Reading opponents online (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=117940)

Smokey98 08-29-2004 03:29 AM

Reading opponents online

Any suggestions on how to get reads on players online?

dink 08-29-2004 07:29 AM

Re: Reading opponents online

check out internet poker by Matthew Hilger, i am sure he has a chapter on reading online tells. From what I remember it may even be online at his website.

Me myself, I really don't trust online tells, and I think they are very player specific. For example one player may pause when he has a good hand or another player may pause when he is bluffing or he might simply be visiting the toilet or playing another table.

Best advice, get to know how the other players at your table play and exploit their weaknesses.

Dink

(this is the first post since my new online resolution, to post more about poker and less meaningless but entertaining dribble)

CORed 08-29-2004 12:43 PM

You really just need to observe your opponents and how they play. The only "tell" in online poker is the response time. A very quick response usually means one of the automatic check boxes was selected. Supposedly, a quick raise, indicating the auto raise checkbox was selected is a sign of strength. A quick cold call of a threebet might mean the "call any" box was selected, a strong indication that you opponent is an uber-fish. Slow responses, OTOH, are not reliable at all. A slow response might indicate that your opponent is thinking about a tough decision. It might mean he is having connection problems, or it migh mean that he is involved in hands on three of the 7 other tables he is playing.

JAque 08-29-2004 12:55 PM

I believe that unless you have observed your oponent for a long time , these tells are useless. Multitabling causes people to check buttons for many reasons. I agree with you about the slow reactions tells.

JAque

RED_RAIN 08-29-2004 02:01 PM

When I first saw this title, I thought referring to limit online.

There aren't reads right away.

Never played with someone, don't read into their response time. I'm usually right away on betting, but I multi so sometimes not. Doesn't mean anything.

Maybe after awhile you could do reads, but reads online are very overrated. Learn marginal EV hand plays instead.

deacsoft 08-29-2004 03:45 PM

Forget about on-line "tells". Take good notes and you'll be fine.

CORed 08-29-2004 07:45 PM

I pretty much agree with you. I have read some of the stuff about the automatic checkboxes, but it's not someting I pay too much attention to. I multi-table, too. But I rarely use the checkboxes other than the fold and the check-fold when I have a weak hand. This isn't really because I'm worried about giving tells, but because I genarally don't want to commit more money to a pot until I have all the information available.

Blarg 08-29-2004 09:48 PM

So many people play multiple tables that slow responses rarely mean much. Instant responses mean a box was checked in advance, which might mean more at some levels of the game, but at lower limits, people just love to play, so they probably auto-check their call boxes a lot regardless of the strength of their hands. Especially their blinds.