Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Interesting 10/25 hand against a solid player. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=382354)

DVO 11-22-2005 01:31 PM

Re: RESULTS (from the mouth of the villian)

Great thread.

John's preflop play is something I'd like to explore. Anyone else play it this way? I just can't see passing up two opportunities to raise pre-flop here.

Here is his explanation:

I had JJ UTG. I know that if I raise UTG, even up to 200, all it will do is make a giant pot – like four callers and me – and I will be in the worst position not knowing what my opponents could have. So, I limp in, and when it is raised to 75 I just call, knowing that re-raising to 400 may still very well produce three callers. Again, I do not want to play a 1200 pot on the flop with JJ UTG against people who will call with any overcards.

lapoker17 11-22-2005 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had JJ UTG. I know that if I raise UTG, even up to 200, all it will do is make a giant pot – like four callers and me – and I will be in the worst position not knowing what my opponents could have. So, I limp in, and when it is raised to 75 I just call, knowing that re-raising to 400 may still very well produce three callers. Again, I do not want to play a 1200 pot on the flop with JJ UTG against people who will call with any overcards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I don't know why people have ignored this part of the post. The logic behind this shows a clear lack of understanding of some very elementary concepts - Especially given that we've been told repeatedly how soft this game was.

This is the sort of thing you hear at a 2/4 limit table - "I didn't want to raise my Aces out of the BB, because everyone will just call anyway".

not_da_nizzles 11-22-2005 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great thread.

John's preflop play is something I'd like to explore. Anyone else play it this way? I just can't see passing up two opportunities to raise pre-flop here.

Here is his explanation:

[/ QUOTE ]

If you play JJ this weakly pre-flop then you're basically playing it for set value - shut down on the flop when you miss (especially after a bet and a potsized raise).

If you want to play it aggressively (and I think you should) then raise it pre-flop and take advantage of the knowledge that your opponents suck and will call with any 2 overcards. It's not written in stone that you need to continuation bet the flop if it looks bad (A, K or Q) and you don't think the bad players will be moved off of TP. Don't weak bet the turn either.

mj

AZK 11-22-2005 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Recently, I've become a major sucker for dead money preflop, so if I had JJ in the blinds after a 75 ep raise and a dozen callers I would probably be making it $600 to go preflop.