Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   QJo hand that seems badly played (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=392384)

bobbyi 12-06-2005 02:16 AM

QJo hand that seems badly played

I suck at no limit [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. What's the right way to play this hand? Main villain has only been at the table for two rounds, but so far seems pretty laggy preflop and postflop.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $.5 BB (6 max, 6 handed)

CO ($41.28)
Button ($27.03)
SB ($90.25)
BB ($50.65)
UTG ($14.44)
Hero ($50)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.75</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls $1.50, BB calls $1.25.

Flop: ($5.25) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $10</font>, Hero calls $5.

Turn: ($25.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($25.25) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, BB calls $10.

Final Pot: $45.25

PoBoy321 12-06-2005 02:36 AM

Re: QJo hand that seems badly played

Even at 6-max, I usually fold QJo UTG+1. Fold to BB's flop check/raise. As played, check the river.

TheWorstPlayer 12-06-2005 02:39 AM

Folding here is giving up value preflop. But not that much. But your play is certainly standard and profitable. Flop you can fold, but if he's laggy that's probably giving too much credit. As played, I probably check the river. He probably has nothing or AQ/KQ. Anything stronger he woulda bet most likely. But now he's too scared to bet. Of course he'll still CALL all bets...

wdeadwyler 12-06-2005 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Folding here is giving up value preflop. But not that much. But your play is certainly standard and profitable. Flop you can fold, but if he's laggy that's probably giving too much credit. As played, I probably check the river. He probably has nothing or AQ/KQ. Anything stronger he woulda bet most likely. But now he's too scared to bet. Of course he'll still CALL all bets...

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly how much value are we givin up here folding qjo in MP, it cant be more than .2BB/100. And I think alot of players (prob myself included) lose ev raising this hand upfront. Is limp/fold better preflop?

TheWorstPlayer 12-06-2005 08:05 AM

Depends on the opponents. With position against bad playing people who will call with hands like JT in the blinds and then get stacked with dominated top pair, you are actually giving up a lot by not raising QJ here. Probably ~.5-1BB.

rannerboy 12-06-2005 09:11 AM

I like the preflop raise at a 6-handed table.

On the flop I can see a case for folding to the checkraise but as you describe him as laggy it might as well be a weak hand or a bluff, so I would call.

Easy check behind on the river.

wdeadwyler 12-06-2005 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depends on the opponents. With position against bad playing people who will call with hands like JT in the blinds and then get stacked with dominated top pair, you are actually giving up a lot by not raising QJ here. Probably ~.5-1BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would put your stack in with jq on a j6252 board if villain was check callling whole way? Wouldnt random villain play JK exactly the same? This doesnt really matter though, use a read, what bothers me more is the following...
What about playing oop, raising qjo upfront is gonna get you in a lot of tough oop spots.

TheWorstPlayer 12-06-2005 12:31 PM

If I expect to be out of position, I usually fold QJ. If I expect to be in position I usually raise it. How you play it postflop, of course depends.

Isura 12-06-2005 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People don't stack off with tpwk JT etc even at NL50 that often. And opening in MP usually puts us in a tough spot when CO/BTN call preflop. I think folding is the best play at a typcial nl50 table.

TheWorstPlayer 12-06-2005 12:39 PM

Wow, you must have crappy ass table/seat selection. At my tables, the blinds call with J2o and the CO/BN fold with AK.