Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Horrible board, massive pot (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=384555)

11-24-2005 12:33 PM

Horrible board, massive pot

Table is full of standard 30 – 40vpip type players, no one unusually aggressive or anything.

Hero is MP with Jc Jd.
UTG limps, EP limps, Hero Raises, MP+1 cc’s, MP+2 reraises, BB calls, all call (18 SB’s)
Flop: 6c 7d 8d. UTG checks, EP bets, hero raises, ALL CC! (36SB’s)

Turn: 2c. checked to hero who bets, 4 callers (23BB’s)

River: 4h (Yuk!) EP Bets, hero… (looks very nervously at the 2 people still to play)

edit: actually I don't know why I'm asking what to do cos it's pretty bleeding obvious that hero has to call here.

Hero calls, MP+ 1 raises (sigh), 2 folds, EP calls, hero... calls and hates himself?

spydog 11-24-2005 12:51 PM

Re: Horrible board, massive pot

Cap preflop.

Call the river. If it is 2 bets back to you then fold. Otherwise, I still call 1 more in this pot.

mute 11-24-2005 01:04 PM

First off you should cap PF. JJ has a HUGE equity edge against 5 loose opponents.

I'm folding to the river raise. I think you are good here never.

WriterBoy 11-24-2005 01:18 PM

Cap those jacks preflop, and then whitewater that all the way down to the river. With a pot that large, you are making a mistake by folding, even if you think/know you're behind.

11-24-2005 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First off you should cap PF. JJ has a HUGE equity edge against 5 loose opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cap it next time - fair enough.

You would be very surprised (as I was) with what both players were holding

11-24-2005 01:33 PM

You cannot fold in the river with this big pot!!!!!!!

shant 11-24-2005 01:38 PM

I know that's what they say, but how often are you good here? Is MP1 bluffraising a bet and a call on the river with A8? Also, what's the other guy waking up with?

11-24-2005 02:51 PM

Unbelievably this pot was not won by a straight but 2 pair. Hero gritted his teeth and called MP+1's raise who showed 9h Qh, a total bluff, and EP showed 8 7 for a badly played 2 pair.
I guess this hand kind of shows that paying off in large pots is vital because 'our hand is good never' is actually 'our hand is good a tiny percentage of the time' as MP+1 showed.

shant 11-24-2005 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unbelievably this pot was not won by a straight but 2 pair. Hero gritted his teeth and called MP+1's raise who showed 9h Qh, a total bluff, and EP showed 8 7 for a badly played 2 pair.
I guess this hand kind of shows that paying off in large pots is vital because 'our hand is good never' is actually 'our hand is good a tiny percentage of the time' as MP+1 showed.

[/ QUOTE ]
He showed a total bluff, but you still have to beat the player who woke up and bet the river and called a raise. That's a big parlay.

11-24-2005 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I might just point out that SSH hand charts only recommend 4 betting AA-QQ and AKs, whether loose or tight...