Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Joaquin Phoenix vs. Jamie Foxx (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=393176)

TheBlueMonster 12-07-2005 02:23 AM

Joaquin Phoenix vs. Jamie Foxx

I was having this discussion with some friends after (finally) seeing 'Walk the Line' this weekend.
In terms of capturing the person they were playing in their respective films, who did a better job? Looks, mannerisms and voice should be considered.

flatline 12-07-2005 02:54 AM

Re: Joaquin Phoenix vs. Jamie Foxx

That's a tough question, as I've seen a lot more footage of Ray Charles than Johnny Cash. They both did a damn good job. I finally went with Phoenix because he did his own singing and it helped him nail the musical parts.

TheBlueMonster 12-07-2005 02:57 AM

at one point while watching "Walk the Line" I closed my eyes and could swear it was Cash singing. Phoenix did a really phenomenal job.

pryor15 12-07-2005 03:15 AM

singing >> lip-synching

always has been, always will be.

astroglide 12-07-2005 12:54 PM

needs an option for people who haven't seen them

your poll will be ruined by people who just want to see the results and vote on a random opinion

CollinEstes 12-07-2005 12:57 PM

Got to say they were both good but I give the edge to Jamie Foxx because playing a blind drug addict is alot harder than playing a just a regular drug addict.

And I have to say they could have just taken the script from Ray and put Cash's name in everywhere and you would have the same movie.

imported_The Vibesman 12-07-2005 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
at one point while watching "Walk the Line" I closed my eyes and could swear it was Cash singing. Phoenix did a really phenomenal job.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got to admit tho, it would be a lot easier to impersonate Cash's monotone voice than to imitate Ray Charles' dynamic singing.

CollinEstes 12-07-2005 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got to admit tho, it would be a lot easier to impersonate Cash's monotone voice than to imitate Ray Charles' dynamic singing.

[/ QUOTE ]

No question about it.

odellthurman 12-07-2005 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He did sound a lot like Johnny Cash, but no way that it wasn't discernible by someone who has listened to a lot of Cash. That being said, great acting isn't about imitation.