Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   KK, huge pot, what now? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=393877)

12-08-2005 12:32 AM

KK, huge pot, what now?

KK UTG. I raise, button calls, terrible sb calls, bb 3 bets (he's 44/22/.6 after only 9 hands so pretty much meaningless), I cap.

Flop is T6Q rainbow. checked to me, I bet, button calls, SB raises (and is all-in, BB cold calls, I 3 bet, button folds, BB calls.

Turn is a J, putting 4 different suits on the board. Hero???

I want to bet here because betting is lots of fun, but given the way this guy has played his hand I think his range is very narrow and I can't think of anything he's playing this way that I beat.

What should I be thinking here? I mean, I don't really know this guy, I only have 9 hands with him, so by default I want to call down. Check/calling here seems abnormal, and if I'm behind I have a couple outs (I think he has an ace like every time here so I'll say 2.5 because I'm drawing to a chop a lot of the time), and maybe I'm ahead so check/call at the very least, does leading here accomplish anything at all?

I'll say bet/fold is the line to take, bc maybe I'm ahead, the pot's big and if he raises there is just no way I'm good ever. Thoughts?

W. Deranged 12-08-2005 12:36 AM

Re: KK, huge pot, what now?

Bet and call the raise. Did you notice the open-ended straight draw?

I'm probably check-calling the river unimproved because the pot's so big.

Harv72b 12-08-2005 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check/calling here seems abnormal

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems very abnormal, since you have position on your remaining opponent. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Assuming that you were out of position, though, you can't bet/fold. Even if you're behind, you have 10 outs to beat any set, 16 outs to beat any two pair, 6 outs to beat AA (unlikely without a cap preflop), and 3 outs to chop with AK. The pot odds are just too favorable to even consider folding to a raise.

I don't like check/calling, either, because I don't want to give a free card to a hand like KQ and give him 8 outs to chop with me. And while you don't mention a limit, many players at every limit I've tried will call down with an underpair here (or even a weak UI ace), no matter whether they can't possibly be ahead of any reasonable preflop capping hand.

So I like bet/call, reevaluate on the river if raised.

12-08-2005 12:47 AM

Yeah, that was what I thought and that's what I did. Maybe this hand was easier than I thought?

Just watching how he played it I can't see what he would have that's not KK, but some lemurs I guess would play JJ and QQ like this.

But why lead here? Is there value in it?

12-08-2005 12:49 AM

That's interesting, I hadn't even considered that he might have an underpair.

Thanks for the help.

W. Deranged 12-08-2005 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet and call the raise. Did you notice the open-ended straight draw?

I'm probably check-calling the river unimproved because the pot's so big.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should clarify: I check-call river if raised on the turn.

I bet most rivers if not raised on the turn.

NorthernGuy 12-08-2005 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I want to bet here because betting is lots of fun

[/ QUOTE ]