Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Best Atari 2600 (the old VCS system) game... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=404452)

whiskeytown 12-24-2005 03:01 AM

Best Atari 2600 (the old VCS system) game...

Inspired by the SNES thread...

I remember "Raiders of the Lost Ark" - you needed both joysticks to play a one player game -

it took me a month - the manual deliberately left out certain stuff - (like where to find the headpiece for the Staff of Ra) and what it was and what a map room looked like, and you spent a lot of time with various items in rooms figuring out what they did.

I was a SMART VG'er as a kid - wrapped around scores on Atari games all the time, but it took me a friggen month to beat that game.

Anyone remember the old Atari's? - I know I'm old school, but come on.

If you are on a date with a similar girl of similar geek tastes/styles, it's amazing how much fun you can have with a MAME arcade box and the X-arcade controller - even the most terrible date looks better when the girl can play her favorite video game non-stop head to head and crush your ass - [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyways - my last ex-gf liked Combat - (her and her bro. played it ALL the time growing up - the tank simulations) - Favorite Atari games?

Special nod to Pokerplus, where I learned how to really play 5 card stud and blackjack - LOL - the difficulty level exposed one hole card or blocked it - I should drag it out on the emulator when I get home - see if I'm getting better then when I was a kid [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

RB

Senor Cardgage 12-24-2005 03:08 AM

Re: Best Atari 2600 (the old VCS system) game...

E.T. was 2600, right? We had the 2600 and the 5200 so I get them confused nowadays. Anyways, I was unfortunate enough to have that one. Never, ever figured out what I was supposed to do.

Hotrod0823 12-24-2005 03:11 AM

My favorite games by far were the old Activision games.

I loved RiverRaid, PitFall and Kaboom.

Used to play to get high scores so you could send in pictures and get patches.

And I had blisters on my hands from "running" in Decathalon.

All the M-network sports games, baseball and football.

kenberman 12-24-2005 03:19 AM

Adventure

they even named a genre of game after it

KJS 12-24-2005 03:42 AM

Kaboom and River Raid.

KJS

whiskeytown 12-24-2005 03:48 AM

ET literally buried the 2600 -

big marketing push for a Christmas game that was absolute crap - rumor was in the end Atari had to BURY a bunch of these games in the desert.

It has been accused of singlehandedly bringing down Atari - it WAS a stupid game but easy to beat if you had time...

RB

daryn 12-24-2005 03:49 AM

ET
pitfall 2
dungeons and dragons (i think?)
cops and robbers

mike l. 12-24-2005 04:10 AM

i was obsessed with pitfall at the time but hate it now.

i love freeway, that's definitely the best game. it's where a chicken has to cross a freeway over and over. it's a great heads up 2 players at once game. i kick ass at it btw.

daryn 12-24-2005 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i was obsessed with pitfall at the time but hate it now.

i love freeway, that's definitely the best game. it's where a chicken has to cross a freeway over and over. it's a great heads up 2 players at once game. i kick ass at it btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes!

also there was one with a set of teeth or something? you were a mouth, trying to eat food.. something attack? plaque attack?? does that make sense?

mike l. 12-24-2005 04:16 AM

"also there was one with a set of teeth or something?"

yeah i know the one youre talking about. two of my bandmates are ubergeek atari fanatics. i even went with them to a big atari geekfest in vegas once it was rad. those are some sick people. i got to play an odyssey 3 system for hours though so that's why i went.

there was an X rated game too. and a game called chase the chuckwagon that's super rare and was only available through mailorder through chuckwagon dog food.