Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Software (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   The threat of a ban (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=298321)

Shakespeare 07-22-2005 02:36 PM

The threat of a ban

Does anyone who has used the "banned" software AND received the e-mail have a firewall installed?

The reason I ask is that I have used pokerprophecy on occasion (version 4), but have never received a warning e-mail. I use the Empire party skin and have a firewall installed (firewall in my router). I also see that pokerprophecy v6.x can only be used with firewall software installed.

BZ_Zorro 07-23-2005 04:26 AM

Re: The threat of a ban

I would think a firewall would be useless. Firewalls only stop certain incoming and outgoing data. In order to run Party software on your machine, you give it permission to send any data it likes through your firewall.

Because the Party software is running on your computer, it has the ability to:

1. Take a screenshot
2. See a list of running programs
3. Send this data to Party Poker in whatever form it chooses. There's nothing special about this data that would get it flagged or blocked by a firewall.

So no, a firewall shouldn't make a difference, you cheater you.

1800GAMBLER 07-23-2005 02:16 PM

We recommend downloading our latest version from the downloads page. We also recommend running the free Kerio Personal Firewall to give yourself maximum privacy protection. If you want to be 100% safe, use the new Remote feature while playing on the Party network.

From here

colgin 07-24-2005 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We recommend downloading our latest version from the downloads page. We also recommend running the free Kerio Personal Firewall to give yourself maximum privacy protection. If you want to be 100% safe, use the new Remote feature while playing on the Party network.

From here

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I am going to let this play itself out more before re-installing PE on my computer.

Shakespeare 07-25-2005 09:34 PM

I still have it installed on my system (Ver 4), I dont use it while I am playing. I have not recieved any warning e-mails from empire (Party), I play about 400 sng's a month.

guppie 07-27-2005 01:29 AM

I got caught

I did not receive an e-mail but did get a warning pop-up window that I was running illegal software. I closed and uninstalled PE immediately. I was running Zone Alarm and McAfee Personal Firewall.

I can get the same info from PT and the HUD from Player View. I will be using those from now on.

I assume PP's only objection to PE is the shared DB. I would still pay for PE if it used only my local DB because the interface is convenient, reliable and flexible, much more so than PT and PV.

PokerAce 07-27-2005 01:39 AM

Re: I got caught

[ QUOTE ]
I assume PP's only objection to PE is the shared DB. I would still pay for PE if it used only my local DB because the interface is convenient, reliable and flexible, much more so than PT and PV.

[/ QUOTE ]

As the developer of PokerAce Hud (alternative to GT+/PV), I'm always looking for new ways to improve my software. Have you tried my app? If so, please offer any suggestions you have to make it better.

guppie 07-28-2005 02:32 AM

Re: I got caught

I'll try it and give you my thoughts. Best wishes.

guppie 07-28-2005 09:10 PM

Ok, I tried it

Your tool works very well. I played about 300 hands using PokerAce HUD. It is very intuitive and I was able to put the data I need where I want it and in the format I like.

I like the variable update for players with differing amounts of hands in their history. I also appreciate the pop-up cards at the end of the hand. Looking up folded/losing cards in the text every time is just not worth the trouble but PAHUD shows it to me every hand, automatically.

One major concern. When saving any changes to the Layout Manager, my firewall leaps to 95% CPU usage, freezing everything else. It twice caused PP to crash. If you can do anything about that, I'd recommend PAHUD to anyone.

One minor request. I would like to tell PAHUD to update the display both manually and on a timer. I rely heavily on the Table average VP$IP and it can change dramatically as players enter and leave the table.

Overall a great tool!

PokerAce 07-29-2005 01:54 AM

Re: Ok, I tried it

I already replied to your PM (didn't realize you posted it too), but I'll reply again for the sake of anyone else reading this.

The Layout Manager save issue that some people experience will be fixed in the next version. Also, the table averages are updated immediately when a player leaves/joins a table.

Thanks again for giving it a shot and taking the time to give me your opinions.