Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Should the governator grant stanley TUKI williams clemency? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=394718)

MMMMMM 12-09-2005 11:55 AM

Re: Should the governator grant stanley TUKI williams clemency?

[ QUOTE ]
Seperating your opinion on the death penalty, does a person actions in prison really have any bearing on wether the jury was competent in deciding punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Essentially no.

sam h 12-09-2005 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
does a person actions in prison really have any bearing on wether the jury was competent in deciding punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]

???

tylerdurden 12-09-2005 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seperating your opinion on the death penalty, does a person actions in prison really have any bearing on wether the jury was competent in deciding punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. However, clemency is not exclusively concerned with jury competence.

12-09-2005 12:43 PM

why is all of a sudden the "cool thing" to get scum like this off death row?

theweatherman 12-09-2005 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why is all of a sudden the "cool thing" to get scum like this off death row?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the death penalty is flawed, outdated and barbaric. Just as it was the cool thing to stop drawing and quartering people.

theweatherman 12-09-2005 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jury competence is not affected by good behavior, however I think it should be able to lessen punishment substantially.

New001 12-09-2005 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I hear often how he hasn't "confessed guilt" or "expressed regret" for what he's been convicted of. Is it certain that he was guilty of those particular crimes?

[/ QUOTE ]
He was sentenced to death for those crimes. 12 people somewhere were pretty certain having heard the facts.

[/ QUOTE ]
But are you certain that those 12 people decided without bias of any kind, and with access to all of the facts? Just because a jury finds somebody guilty doesn't mean they were, as has been shown countless times for even death row inmates.

BCPVP 12-09-2005 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But are you certain that those 12 people decided without bias of any kind, and with access to all of the facts? Just because a jury finds somebody guilty doesn't mean they were, as has been shown countless times for even death row inmates.

[/ QUOTE ]
That he hasn't won any appeals is further confirmation.

12-09-2005 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That he hasn't won any appeals is further confirmation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no lawyer, but don't appeals have more to do with scrutinizing the judge's rulings about evidence, testimony, et al, and not the conclusion the jury reached?

Miggo 12-09-2005 04:39 PM

I don't know if he should've gotten life in the first place because I don't know all the facts. The only comment I have is that if he wants to live, he should do everything he possibly can to prove that his being alive can have some asset to society.

Besides the childrens books and phone calls and stuff, (which is a great step), I think the biggest thing he could've done is renounce the crips gang. If he were to condemn the crips and work with the cops to break that gang apart and help them bring the members who have been involved in illegal activities to justice, then he can consider clemency. Do you want to live and be labeled a squeeler, or do you want to be loyal to your gang and die? I think he made his own choice.