Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Someone kick me in the ass (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=391177)

gol4pro 12-04-2005 04:28 PM

Someone kick me in the ass

My river play has really been sucking lately. By that, I mean I've become a freakin' check/call type nit, and I'm losing astronomical amounts of value. As I'm sure all of you know, value betting strong (but non-nut) hands on the river in big pots can make a HUGE difference in profits.

Here's an awesome example. How do I stop being a nit?

I raise 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] to 2xBB (120BB stacks, 50NL), 3 callers.

Flop J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
-- I bet 3$, button calls (unknown)

pot 10
Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
- I check, he bets 4$, I raise to 22$, he calls

river A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
-- I lose my balls and check.

He shows 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hoopster81 12-04-2005 04:30 PM

Re: Someone kick me in the ass

[ QUOTE ]
Someone kick me in the ass

[/ QUOTE ]

I will, but only for min-raising pre-flop

emil3000 12-04-2005 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My river play has really been sucking lately. By that, I mean I've become a freakin' check/call type nit, and I'm losing astronomical amounts of value. As I'm sure all of you know, value betting strong (but non-nut) hands on the river in big pots can make a HUGE difference in profits.

Here's an awesome example. How do I stop being a nit?

I raise 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] to 2xBB (120BB stacks, 50NL), 3 callers.

Flop J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
-- I bet 3$, button calls (unknown)

pot 10
Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
- I check, he bets 4$, I raise to 22$, he calls

river A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
-- I lose my balls and check.

He shows 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLOLOL U suck.

4_2_it 12-04-2005 04:36 PM

Min Raise. HAHA

Have you ever heard of a blocking bet on the river? Use it here numb nuts.

There, hope you feel better now. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

ajmargarine 12-04-2005 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do I stop being a nit?

I raise 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] to 2xBB

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop open-minraising for a start.

12-04-2005 05:33 PM

I've been working on having some balls to value bet on the river. Here is an obvious case. He doesn't have spades, unless it's QsTs, and this is highly doubtful. He doesn't have a higher set. So bet it. I'd say $30 or so.

And either limp in or raise to $2 I would say. I've found some occasional uses for preflop minraises, but EP with 99 isn't one of them.

emil3000 12-04-2005 05:36 PM

Well, this is about the easiest value bet in the world. Really, if you're this timid, you are gonna have a hard time progressing beyond NL50.

orange 12-04-2005 06:59 PM

You put him on a runner-runner flush?? Value bet this [censored].

12-04-2005 10:07 PM

You realize you lost $20-$30 by not betting that river if he calls, right?

Mr. Sakuraba 12-04-2005 10:28 PM

Was this at pokerroom?