Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   l4yer cake (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=406818)

asofel 12-28-2005 11:36 PM

l4yer cake

Over the holiday weekend I've come down with some sort of cold bolstered with a side order of bronchitis. Fun.

So I decided to rent L4yer Cake tonight. I like the Brits, and I like Sienna Miller.

I have to say, it was better than I would have expected. Its not an INCREDIBLE movie...its not something you definitely need to see...but its fun...

Have others seen this? Diebitter and crew, I'm lookin at you? Related, what're your opinions of movies like Lock, Stock and Snatch ?

dblgutshot 12-28-2005 11:39 PM

Re: l4yer cake

Isn't it just Layer Cake?

obsidian 12-28-2005 11:41 PM

Both Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels & Snatch were good and I believe this is directed by the same guy. Might have to pick it up.

sublime 12-28-2005 11:42 PM

was a decent flick, worth watching and i am picky.

Paluka 12-28-2005 11:44 PM

I think both Lock Stock and Snatch are much much better than Layer Cake. Snatch is one of my favorite movies. I barely liked Layer Cake.

mic_check12 12-28-2005 11:50 PM

What Paluka said

asofel 12-28-2005 11:50 PM

Paluka,

Its been a while since I've watched Snatch and Lock Stock for the first time....and I agree...they are easily better...I guess my expectations were extremely low for this, so it was enjoyable in that aspect.

To the other poster, I don't know, they make a point of putting a '4' on the dvd box.

I'll say this: I'm at least somewhat more comfortable with this guy being the new gond...I think he can carry it wel...

ononimo 12-28-2005 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think both Lock Stock and Snatch are much much better than Layer Cake. Snatch is one of my favorite movies. I barely liked Layer Cake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lock Stock: agree
Snatch: strongly disagree. Snatch was a very poor man's Lock Stock and if it wasn't for Brad Pitt's gypsy character, it would be entirely forgettable.

Lock Stock > Layer Cake > Snatch

ononimo 12-28-2005 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Both Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels & Snatch were good and I believe this is directed by the same guy. Might have to pick it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guy Ritchie didn't do Layer Cake

asofel 12-28-2005 11:54 PM

btw, have any of you seen the Mean Machine? None of my friends have seen it and I'm wondering if its that rare or what...

asofel 12-28-2005 11:55 PM

yea what's the deal with Matthew Vaughn and the tie ins that they're not shy about mentioning....

Paluka 12-28-2005 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Snatch: strongly disagree. Snatch was a very poor man's Lock Stock and if it wasn't for Brad Pitt's gypsy character, it would be entirely forgettable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone who saw Lock Stock first prefers it, everyone who saw Snatch first prefers Snatch. I've never met someone who broke this pattern.

ononimo 12-29-2005 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone who saw Lock Stock first prefers it, everyone who saw Snatch first prefers Snatch. I've never met someone who broke this pattern.

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps, but the reason that i dislike Snatch is because it seems like a weak retread of themes Lock Stock already explored and since Lock Stock was filmed first, it was the movie that influenced/inspired Snatch, not the other way around.

obsidian 12-29-2005 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I follow this trend as well.

daryn 12-29-2005 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

paluka = wise

they don't call him the meddling mage for nothing

asofel 12-29-2005 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

paluka = wise

they don't call him the meddling mage for nothing

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true...i saw Snatch first and thought it was better...since then i've seen Lock, Stock and that's a damn good movie...hard to say which is "better"...

asofel 12-29-2005 12:24 AM

btw, I thought it was typically [censored] how they used Sienna Miller for about 2 minutes and yet advertised her as "in the movie"...although what should I really be expecting...

/nooob

KDawgCometh 12-29-2005 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
btw, have any of you seen the Mean Machine? None of my friends have seen it and I'm wondering if its that rare or what...

[/ QUOTE ]

I own it. I found it at borders, its a little hard to find, but its the best of all of the Longest yard movies(including teh original with burt reynolds)

KDawgCometh 12-29-2005 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, I'm breaking the trend. I'm KDawg(Keith)

Blarg 12-29-2005 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this is the producer of those, directing for the first time.

Blarg 12-29-2005 12:52 AM

I haven't seen either Lock Stock nor Snatch, but don't think Layer Cake is one that's iffy -- it really deserves seeing. And I liked it quite a bit.

fluxrad 12-29-2005 12:56 AM

Layer Cake is a great movie. I don't understand why people always have to bring Lock Stock and Snatch into it, though (I'm talking to the other posters as well). If you're going to do that you'd better include [censored] like Get Carter, or the other half-million british underground flicks. How about Straw Dogs, or any other movie where a "crime" takes place "in or around England." Just appreciate Layer Cake for what it is.

Luckily, this is part of my movie critic litmus test. Since it's already [censored] obvious that Lock, Stock and Snatch were better movies anyone who decides to say "Yes, but Lock Stock, and Snatch were far better movies" when talking about Layer Cake gets my Pretentious Dickhole award. These are the same asshats that don't drink merlot anymore because the guy in Sideways said not to.

imported_anacardo 12-29-2005 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen either Lock Stock nor Snatch, but don't think Layer Cake is one that's iffy -- it really deserves seeing. And I liked it quite a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mad motherfuckin' upz to Blarg The Sage, Math ap Mathonwy of 2+2, on his ten thousandth post. May you be covered in imperishable glory, may death come swiftly to your enemies, may all your pots be live and may all your hands be monsters.

Flags high. Nevah Die.

smb394 12-29-2005 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, I'm breaking the trend. I'm KDawg(Keith)

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. Saw Snatch first. Lock Stock > Snatch

Blarg 12-29-2005 01:10 AM

heheh where's my cake?

astroglide 12-29-2005 01:18 AM

i saw lock stock first and prefer snatch. big fan of brad pitt's character.

d10 12-29-2005 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
btw, I thought it was typically [censored] how they used Sienna Miller for about 2 minutes and yet advertised her as "in the movie"...although what should I really be expecting...

/nooob

[/ QUOTE ]

This is disappointing. I had never heard of this movie, but instantly decided I wanted to watch it when I opened this thread. Now, not so much.

dblgutshot 12-29-2005 01:53 AM

The whole plotline with the girl and the affair seemed kind of haphazardly cut into the movie. Either like they added it after, or had to cut a lot of it out. Didn't really seem to flow IMO.

Still I liked the movie, but am still wondering why people are spelling it 'L4yer'.

cjmewett 12-29-2005 02:00 AM

Don't NOT see it because you're concerned about the limited role that Sienna Miller plays. You should know in advance that her very brief appearance is well worth it. As in, she gets all made up in lingerie and looks [censored] hot.

ononimo 12-29-2005 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but am still wondering why people are spelling it 'L4yer'.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...B0006HIPOK.jpg

cjmewett 12-29-2005 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Still I liked the movie, but am still wondering why people are spelling it 'L4yer'.

[/ QUOTE ]Because all the movie publicity (including the DVD cover) spells it this way. I don't get it either, but that's the way it is.

asofel 12-29-2005 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Because all the movie publicity (including the DVD cover) spells it this way. I don't get it either, but that's the way it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

D00derz,

Joo 0bv1ously don't know 7334 sp3@k...this is th3 h0tn3ss...

GuyOnTilt 12-29-2005 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
They are the same people who spell the movie Seven, "Se7en".

IMDB
Wikipedia
Official Site

GoT

SmileyEH 12-29-2005 03:44 AM

I loved layer cake. Just something about the pacing, music, visual style. I can watch that movie over and over again.

-SmileyEH

diebitter 12-29-2005 04:40 AM

Layer Cake is a good movie

Lock Stock and Snatch are a cut above it I'd say, and between Good and Great, and I personally prefer Lock Stock, but only by a little (I'm with the trend, I saw it first). Brad Pitt's pikey (and all the pikeys) are excellent and not caricatures, I'm telling ya! and I want both!

On a side-note, Mean Machine is much more marginal, though it does have it's moments (Jason Statham as a psycho goalie who sees things in his head that diverge from reality is quite funny). I'd say it's worth seeing if on TV or at a friends, but don't go out of your way.

If you like to try deeper, darker Brit stuff try Gangster No.1 (okay the modern day bits really don't cut it, but the 1960's bits are as good as anything you'll ever see), Sexy Beast, or if you wanna go back in time, 'The Long Good Friday' and the original 'Get Carter'.

Carter, I think I've mentioned before, is Michael Caine being the screen's ultimate badass - I kid you not.

dblgutshot 12-29-2005 06:58 AM

Thanks for the pic. The DVD copy I own is spelt LAYER CAKE, as well as the IMDB and official site (as GOT pointed out).

I guess they made a couple different versions.

uw_madtown 12-29-2005 07:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
They are the same people who spell the movie Seven, "Se7en".

[/ QUOTE ]

Se7en IMDB
Se7en official site

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

d10 12-29-2005 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't NOT see it because you're concerned about the limited role that Sienna Miller plays. You should know in advance that her very brief appearance is well worth it. As in, she gets all made up in lingerie and looks [censored] hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, now I want to see it again.

samjjones 12-29-2005 10:17 AM

Two minutes is about all I'd need with Sienna Miller, so that's fine with me.

Blarg 12-29-2005 04:08 PM

There wasn't anything more interesting about her than her looks in this movie. If she's got something else to show, she didn't show it. Not that it's necessarily her fault; it wasn't that kind of role.

Tossing some broad into every movie as a love interest, no matter how badly it fits, is pretty mandatory unfortunately. It wasn't as disruptive in Layer Cake as it usually is elsewhere, because they didn't use her much in a story that didn't need her, so in a way we should be grateful she wasn't used in a way that would have been much more damaging to the movie.