Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Turn play when overcard hits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=351071)

10-05-2005 03:25 PM

Turn play when overcard hits

This hand generated a fair bit of discussion in HUSH. I'm the villan (BB) and I have Q9 (no club). What's the right play on the turn?

[ QUOTE ]

Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with ___:.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

ggbman 10-05-2005 03:32 PM

Re: Turn play when overcard hits

I would raise and check behind the river. You only miss value on the river from worse queens or a ten, and this way you charge him with clubs, TJ, etc...

Entity 10-05-2005 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would raise and check behind the river. You only miss value on the river from worse queens or a ten, and this way you charge him with clubs, TJ, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hock is OOP.

Rob

Justin A 10-05-2005 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BB has Q9, "hero" is button and his cards are unknown. I think Hock is asking what BB should do.

10-05-2005 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BB has Q9, "hero" is button and his cards are unknown. I think Hock is asking what BB should do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Sorry for the confusion.

mc1023 10-05-2005 04:04 PM

bet and call a raise seems to be the obvious line from first glance for me.

10-05-2005 08:42 PM

bet w/ the intention of calling a raise if it comes. reevaluate on the river based on the opponent.

10-06-2005 10:00 AM

Nobody thinks there's merit to the BB check/calling the turn?

10-06-2005 05:04 PM

you could check raise the turn to get information as to whether the K helped him or if he's still on a draw.. if he misses the club draw the check raise may earn you a free showdown on the river.

10-06-2005 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody thinks there's merit to the BB check/calling the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this line is second best behind bet/calling. betting is better b/c a) you likely still have the best hand, so it is for value, and b) he could easily have a hand w/ a lot of outs against you, and so you want to charge him to draw.