Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Home Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Should I have said anything? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=294317)

JimHammer 07-16-2005 09:01 PM

Should I have said anything?

Player one is all-in, player two calls, players 3 and 4 fold. P1 shows 44 and P2 shows J10. Flop is 8,7,8. Turn is a x and the river is a 7. It's late and everyone was looking for a J or 10 to beat the pocket 4's and since one didn't show up, P1 rakes the pot. While he is stacking the chips and P2 grabs the cards to deal the next hand, I point out that they both had two pair 8's and 7's, but P2 had the J for a kicker. A brief discussion followed and they decided to chop the pot.

Should I have said anything? Nobody had mucked since they showed cards before the flop. P1 was kind of ticked since I wasn't in the hand, but I thought the pot should go to the person who earned it.

(Edit - turn card was something smaller than a J. I originally said K but it didn't matter in the hand)

chesspain 07-16-2005 09:12 PM

Re: Should I have said anything?

"Cards speak" means they speak to everyone at the table, not just to the players in the hand.

The Armchair 07-16-2005 09:13 PM

Cards speak, so I have no problem with a third-party speaking up.

BTW, they'd both play the board.

JimHammer 07-16-2005 09:29 PM

My mistake - it wasn't a king, but something smaller than a jack.

TheCroShow 07-16-2005 09:37 PM

each player is obligated to chime in anytime they see a mistake. just make sure you do it before they muck the cards, had this happen once in a game i played, player #1 "i swear you had a straight..wait, which cards were the community cards??" annoying to say the least

Stew 07-17-2005 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cards speak, so I have no problem with a third-party speaking up.

BTW, they'd both play the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they didn't both play the board as the one player had sevens and eights with a Jack kicker.

Anyway, you definitely should have said something and you also should have said a chopped pot isn't right either.

Cards Speak, end of story.

smoore 07-17-2005 04:18 PM

You did right

sully4321 07-17-2005 07:37 PM

yah i take it a step further and give the guy with the Jack the whole pot

EMcWilliams 07-17-2005 08:41 PM

Did the cards hit the muck...cause then the cards are dead.

Kinnipak 07-17-2005 11:33 PM

No question. Cards Speak. Had a similar situation where I was heads up against a player. Bottom line was I had straight...he had a flush but thought he only had two pair and was about to muck when someone said "WAIT...you have a flush". I tried to make the case that he gave in to my straight...BUT table consenus and every poker forum I belong to was...Cards speak.

Cheers