Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Cover Contest: Getting Started in Hold 'em -- Second Try (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=193887)

MEbenhoe 02-11-2005 05:11 PM

Re: Cover Contest: Getting Started in Hold \'em -- Second Try

Just for fun I figured I'd take a shot at this. Came up with a basic design but couldn't decide on a good picture.

http://www.2and2.net/Uploads/Images/cover 1.jpg

http://www.2and2.net/Uploads/Images/cover 2.jpg

http://www.2and2.net/Uploads/Images/cover 3.jpg

pastabatman 02-11-2005 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rob's is good, no doubt, but there is something about the font that's getting me ... it's SO close to looking amazing but it's just off somehow. I don't know if it needs a little different size or what, but especially on the top half of the book, the font isn't doing it. The coloring and over all layout are phenomenal, though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? I quite like the font. Funny how folks respond differently. But regarding some of these other submissions... I might have to put a brown paper bag on my copy if they win (technique I learned in my dating years).

oddjob 02-11-2005 05:40 PM

is this a book cover design competition or a cheeziest photoshop effects competition.

seriously this competition is a terrible idea.

my advide to you, being a graphic designer. go hire yourself a real designer. if not even a newish designer that will cost less to save yourself money, as you are mostly obviously doing. you can also find designers who play poker in las vegas, that may be willing to do a work for trade. even going to a local college or university and fing a design class to work on this project with you. with their professor's help they should be able to produce a better quality design.

using artwork from non designers will most likely end up in disaster. a stolen image that you can and will most likely be sued over. an image that is of too low quality to print well (this in my mind includes images from digital cameras set to high resolution). the man hours wasted trying to figure out wrong file formats, files set up in the wrong appications, using wrong color models, files without bleeds. files without the include fonts. etc. etc. etc.

if you are at all serious about trying to produce quality products you will hire yourself a real designer. no offense to the many people who have photoshop and have submitted designs.

products that look like they're low quality will be considered low quality.

i beg of you mason, hire a practicing graphic designer that knows the publication industry, or at the very least, look into the other options i have suggested.

lostinthought 02-11-2005 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is this a book cover design competition or a cheeziest photoshop effects competition.

seriously this competition is a terrible idea.

my advide to you, being a graphic designer. go hire yourself a real designer. if not even a newish designer that will cost less to save yourself money, as you are mostly obviously doing. you can also find designers who play poker in las vegas, that may be willing to do a work for trade. even going to a local college or university and fing a design class to work on this project with you. with their professor's help they should be able to produce a better quality design.

using artwork from non designers will most likely end up in disaster. a stolen image that you can and will most likely be sued over. an image that is of too low quality to print well (this in my mind includes images from digital cameras set to high resolution). the man hours wasted trying to figure out wrong file formats, files set up in the wrong appications, using wrong color models, files without bleeds. files without the include fonts. etc. etc. etc.

if you are at all serious about trying to produce quality products you will hire yourself a real designer. no offense to the many people who have photoshop and have submitted designs.

products that look like they're low quality will be considered low quality.

i beg of you mason, hire a practicing graphic designer that knows the publication industry, or at the very least, look into the other options i have suggested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you seen their other book covers? No offense - they're endearing, but I don't think how the cover looks is their upmost of concerns.

snadrik 02-11-2005 05:54 PM

http://magnus.chakka.com/bilde/forside007.jpg

oddjob 02-11-2005 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you seen their other book covers? No offense - they're endearing, but I don't think how the cover looks is their upmost of concerns.

[/ QUOTE ]

so this should prevent them from ever having something that looks good and professional?

they are asking for a redesign. and although their covers in the past have not been the best, most people can identify them as 2+2 books. i'd rather see them do this cover in the same style, then have an entirely different look, that is not done well.

i seriously don't want to offend the people who have submitted designs, and i don't blame you for doing so, cause this was a competition that mason presented with you. i think mason is at fault here, and should hire a graphic designer.

i would never attempt to design someone's house or fix someone's car, cause that is not what i do. sure i may have a kick ass toolset, and have dabbled with my own car and motorcycle, or have built a few things.

and just because i play poker and can easily criticize something about a dealer or floorman, i wouldn't be able to do it right now. cause i'm not a dealer or floorman, and have not had the proper training or education.

MaxPower 02-11-2005 06:07 PM

I am no good at designing, but I think the cover must also contain the phrase, "Noted Poker Authority"

razor 02-11-2005 06:11 PM

In amongst the dodgy submissions will be a few that will have been created by 2+2'ers who are graphic designers or sufficiently accomplished amateurs.

oddjob 02-11-2005 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In amongst the dodgy submissions will be a few that will have been greated by 2+2'ers who are graphic designers or sufficiently accomplished amateurs.

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps, but speaking for myself, and knowing many many other graphic designers. most will not enter a design competition like this. we design for clients who have seeked us out, or have spoken to us in a more detailed meeting. this is not something i believe can be done by just sitting down for an hour and whipping something out with every photoshop trick you have learned.

thought does actually go into design. and a designer's time is as precious as most everyone else's.

i know when i go into a design project i like to know the scope of the project, the client's complete thoughts, the direction, and take these and other things into consideration.

i want my work to be a success, not only designwise, but for the client. it's sad but it's true, most books are judged by their cover. if there's nothing that sets off this book from any other books, i'm guessing most people will pick up Poker for Dummies. The design is crap, but they have brand recognition, huge distribution, and an author that is attached to a published magazine.

No offense to Ed, because i would most definitly read his work over most, but why should a new player pick up his book? they have no idea who he is. i'm not saying that a great cover design will change this, but it can help. a professional looking book will certainly attract people to pick up the book and check it out, before just grabbing whatever poker book they've found on the shelf somewhere.

well, i'm babbling.

oreogod 02-11-2005 06:50 PM

What about a cover with a revolver and some "urban" characters at a table in the middle of a possibly intense situation saying "Beginner rule # 7, NO STRING BETS BIOTCH!!!" -- if I saw it in the store, id at least flip through it.

By the way anyone know what the possible page count will be, about the same as SSH or is it going to be a slim little thing, like the Fundamental books?