Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Please, no more "hellos" (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=404133)

hmkpoker 12-23-2005 03:55 PM

Please, no more \"hellos\"

So I was walking down the street today and an old acquaintance of mine recognised me and said "hello." I mean, I guess he was just trying to be friendly, but isn't that a little, ya know, insensitive?

What you may not know is that the word "hello," popularized as the common telephone greeting, is derived from the old french hola, loosely meaning "hey there."

First of all, I don't own a telephone, and don't wish to be included in some commonplace activity that most of America seems to take part in. If they want to talk on the phone in their own homes, that's fine, just don't include me in it.

Secondly, I am not french. I'm not of any Latinate descent, or English descent for that matter. Don't you think it's a little ridiculous to be barking some foreign greeting to me when I'm not a member of the race from which it's derived? I'm Greek and Czech, so either say "Geia sou" or "Jak sie masz," or just give me a simple nod; makes a lot more sense to me.

Lastly, I also find the original denotation offensive. "Hey there?" [censored] you. I'm "there," so that implies that you're "here"? That's a little egocentric if you ask me.

So please, no more hellos, to me, or to strangers. You never know who you might be offending by saying it.

P.S. I'd like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

siegfriedandroy 12-23-2005 04:04 PM

Re: Please, no more \"hellos\"

nice hmk! funny stuff

lightw1thoutheat 12-23-2005 04:09 PM

bill: i overreacted
the bride: you overreacted?

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jeff V 12-23-2005 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I was walking down the street today and an old acquaintance of mine recognised me and said "hello." I mean, I guess he was just trying to be friendly, but isn't that a little, ya know, insensitive?

What you may not know is that the word "hello," popularized as the common telephone greeting, is derived from the old french hola, loosely meaning "hey there."

First of all, I don't own a telephone, and don't wish to be included in some commonplace activity that most of America seems to take part in. If they want to talk on the phone in their own homes, that's fine, just don't include me in it.

Secondly, I am not french. I'm not of any Latinate descent, or English descent for that matter. Don't you think it's a little ridiculous to be barking some foreign greeting to me when I'm not a member of the race from which it's derived? I'm Greek and Czech, so either say "Geia sou" or "Jak sie masz," or just give me a simple nod; makes a lot more sense to me.

Lastly, I also find the original denotation offensive. "Hey there?" [censored] you. I'm "there," so that implies that you're "here"? That's a little egocentric if you ask me.

So please, no more hellos, to me, or to strangers. You never know who you might be offending by saying it.

P.S. I'd like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dam straight!!

Merry Christmas.

mostsmooth 12-23-2005 07:04 PM

i thought hola was spanish?

KeysrSoze 12-23-2005 07:16 PM

Well I object to that "Merry" Christmas jab you threw in. Merry comes from the Middle-English merri, which is derived from Old-English mirige, so how dare you assume I'm of Anglo or Saxon stock... wait, I am. Nevermind, Merry Christmas to you too.

hmkpoker 12-23-2005 08:45 PM

Old French according to dictionary.com. The etymology's shaky, but I don't think it matters to my point.

Incidentally, this post was created specifically to mock your whining about being offended by Christmas in the other post [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

CallMeIshmael 12-23-2005 09:27 PM

A) This is genius.

B) Anyone offended by EITHER 'Merry Christmas' OR 'Happy Holidays' is borderline retarded

mostsmooth 12-24-2005 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Incidentally, this post was created specifically to mock your whining about being offended by Christmas in the other post [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
no kidding

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!! 12-24-2005 02:08 AM

holla'!!!