Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How to Win and Lose 40k in 2 weeks (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=392741)

12-06-2005 04:18 PM

How to Win and Lose 40k in 2 weeks

How to Win and Lose 40k in two weeks.

I wasn't going to share this, but I think its very important that I do so that other people can avoid what I did.

So I regularly multitable the 30/60 on party, with a dabble of 50/100 in there for good measure. After taking a 4 month break due to work and personal commitments, I played at the 30/60, I typically super multitable and in just playing the evenings and weekends since I work all day, in about a week I made about 40k. I'd never gone up an upswing that much or that quickly ever.

And then something really horrible happened, just for fun being in a gambling spirit I played blackjack on party. $200 a hand . . At first it was harmless and I was going a little up and little down (and playing perfect basic strategy) till suddenly I was down 2k and was like . . Crap, I lost 2k in 30 minutes . . What was going through my head was, man it'll take a lot longer getting that 2k back in poker, I better keep going . . The next thing I knew I was 10k in the hole . . And in due time . . I lost it all on blackjack. Don't ask me how, but I lost 40k playing blackjack on party poker. I'm such an idiot, I never really thought I had a 'blackjack problem' but apprently I do because I couldn’t stop … I was trying to get out of this stupid hole. I haven't been able to get it out of my head, that monye would have done wonders and I'm basically going to be starting from scratch. I've been trying to make myself feel better by telling myself that it was all money that I had won and like it never happened, but I can't get it out of my head. Yes I know, moronic. Either way, blackjack has been removed from party so I don't even have the temptation. But I've been asking myself If I do have some sort of problem. It was never like this before, but I of course didn’t' have instant access to blackjack before either.

Guys, I know a lot of people have already said this but seriously, stay away from blackjack. Erase the image files!

12-06-2005 04:29 PM

Re: How to Win and Lose 40k in 2 weeks

Just wondering, do you think Party is legit? I played a few hands (not a great sample size) and watched dealer hit 19+ every hand. I understand BJ is -EV anyways, but wondering if Party - which is not regulated by the government, unlike Caesars etc - seems legit w/regard to BJ (not poker).

12-06-2005 04:35 PM

You know, thats an awesome question. I'm wondering the same thing. I was playing perfect basic strategy. I had my table in front of me and whenever I forgot what I was supposed to do I'd refer to the chart. There'd be no reason for it not to be legit, just having the dealer hit on soft 17 and continuous shuffle means that the game is horrible enough but I'd watch myself just go on huge swings that had me questioning whether the party blackjack is 'fair' . .

Grisgra 12-06-2005 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At first it was harmless and I was going a little up and little down (and playing perfect basic strategy) till suddenly I was down 2k and was like . . Don't ask me how, but I lost 40k playing blackjack on party poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

You were playing perfect basic strategy and still lost? Man, this post belongs in the Beats, Brags, and Variance forum. So rigged.

12-06-2005 05:04 PM

perfect strategy is not perfect

Even playing 'perfect' strategy, not including counting cards, still puts you at a disadvantage to the house.

Mind you, you're only at something like a .5-1% disadvantage, rather than a 3% advantage or so.

Consider this: For an average loss of 0.5% per hand,

0.995 ^ 500 = .08 .... so after 500 hands you're expected to have only about 8% of your money left.

Not so unreasonable anymore, is it?

Don't play games where you're guaranteed to be beat.

soko 12-06-2005 05:16 PM

Re: perfect strategy is not perfect

[ QUOTE ]
0.995 ^ 500 = .08 .... so after 500 hands you're expected to have only about 8% of your money left.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's 8% of your bet sizez. If you're betting $200 in chips ever deal and play 500 hands, in theory you should net -$184.

UMTerp 12-06-2005 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
That's 8% of your bet sizez. If you're betting $200 in chips ever deal and play 500 hands, in theory you should net -$184.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys need to visit the probability forum.

At a 0.5% disadvantage, if he plays 500 hands, he "should" be down (500)(.005) = 2.5 bets. No exponents necessary.

Tilt 12-06-2005 06:23 PM

Boy thats really stupid.

soko 12-06-2005 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys need to visit the probability forum.

At a 0.5% disadvantage, if he plays 500 hands, he "should" be down (500)(.005) = 2.5 bets. No exponents necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your right, I didn't even look at the math just the result

NDHand 12-06-2005 06:52 PM

Blackjack on Party is definitly evil. I played a 1$ hand, won it and called it quits. The dark side is too strong and must never be touched again [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]