Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Hand from my weekly home game (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=68744)

ScottTheFish 02-20-2004 12:44 PM

Hand from my weekly home game

Hi, been a while since I posted a hand, probably boring, but here goes anyway. I won't comment on my reasoning or give results til later.

.5/1 weekly home game, 8 handed. I know all the players pretty well, they range from very bad LAGs to weak tighties, with a couple of semi-solid players.

Villain in this hand I consider semi-solid, he's read WLLH and somewhat follows it, although he gets too aggressive with marginal hands post flop. Has an annoying habit of table coaching too.

Anyway he open raises from MP, I 3 bet on the button with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. LAG BB cold calls 2, which means he has 2 cards and 2 chips, villain calls.

3 to a flop of: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB checks, villain bets...I raise, BB folds, villain calls.

Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain checks, I check.

River: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain checks, I bet, Villain check-raises. I 3-bet, he calls.

Fire away.

ScottTheFish 02-20-2004 03:55 PM

Re: Hand from my weekly home game

bump?

josie_wales 02-20-2004 04:21 PM

Villain opened as first in with KJo and calls your 3-bet.

Hopes to improve his backdoor straight on the turn and doesn't, but its checked through so he gets a free card on the river.

Its K and he figures he has the best hand, thus the check raise, but once you 3-bet he worries bout that J kicker.

jw

k000k 02-20-2004 04:23 PM

I woulda dumped AK before the river.. He bet into you after 3-betting preflop.. His turn check might have been an attempt at a check raise.. There's no straights or higher possible, so QQ would be the ultimate hand here.. I guess he hit a set with pocket pairs.

ScottTheFish 02-20-2004 04:31 PM

Kook I know this guy to be pretty aggressive, he would bet the flop after raising PF 99% of the time, even after being 3-bet. Doesn't mean he hit.

JW, your read is a little off. Hint: on the turn he whiffed on a check-raise [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] (I didn't know that at the time of course). Anyway what do you think of my play here? You play it any differently?

aas 02-20-2004 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain in this hand I consider semi-solid, he's read WLLH and somewhat follows it,

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering this, after his flop play, I'll put him on AQ or KQ. He missed a check-raise on the turn. On the river he check raised you with...well...AQ or KQ. I think check-raising with AQ would be a mistake because of your preflop play and the K showing on the river. So I think you were beaten with KQ.

I would have still played it the exact same way you did.

Please don't take my reasoning too serious, since I am still a beginner (less than 6000 hands) and I post to learn.

Critiques welcome.

aas.

ScottTheFish 02-20-2004 04:40 PM

He indeed had AQ and missed the turn checkraise. Good read. After the hand I thought I got a little lucky, as really the most likely hand i should have put him on was KQ after he checkraised me on the river, and I should just called.

Pretty ballsy to check-raise the river when an overcard to your pair hits, but like I said he gets a little too agressive postflop sometimes.

aas 02-20-2004 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and I should just called.

[/ QUOTE ]

When?

If you meant "he should have just called the river", I agree with you.

aas.

ScottTheFish 02-20-2004 04:51 PM

I meant I should have just called the check raise on the river

k000k 02-20-2004 05:38 PM

>Pretty ballsy to check-raise the river when an
>overcard to your pair hits, but like I said he
>gets a little too agressive postflop sometimes.

Hell ya it is, you had an advantage too, since you know him and how he plays.. If I had no read on the guy I woulda folded after the flop. Good thing you had that edge, oh, and nice catch there at the last second too!