Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   House (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=379522)

diebitter 11-16-2005 10:50 AM

Re: House

Hugh Laurie played Bertie Wooster in it, is why I ask.

Shajen 11-16-2005 10:59 AM

http://seattlebonvivant.typepad.com/...h_laurie_1.jpg

YOU'RE RISKING A PATIENT'S LIFE!!!

Warik 11-16-2005 11:14 AM

House is teh pwn. I didn't watch the entire first season because it didn't interest me, but then one of the Season 2 previews caught my attention. I think it was the one where they said "you're talking about killing the patient?" and he's like "only for a little while." Might have been a preview of a Season 1 rerun.

Anyway, I downloaded all like 8 gigs worth of Season 1 in HDTV and was hooked. Highly recommend the show to anybody.

Jack of Arcades 11-16-2005 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Gregory House character is great, but the episodes themselves are extremely formulaic. If you've seen one episode, you've seen them all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it's formulaic. Here's how the formula goes.

<patient thing>
<something interesting>
<something hilarious>
<soemthing interesting>
<patient>
<something hilarious>

etc.

Georgia Avenue 11-16-2005 12:17 PM

You stole my post...

It does have a formula but so do other shows that don't suck...Law and Order, Mash ("We got wounded here!"), early ER (before it became St. Elsewhere), the Prisoner, the Fugitive, etc...

In fact House is essentially CSI without annoying flashlights...except the acting/writing/hotladydoctor makes it stand out.

swede123 11-16-2005 12:18 PM

I enjoy the show. I agree that it's a bit formulaic in some ways, but at least it's entertaining. I just wished they had found some better actors than the three side kicks. These guys aren't particularly convincing most of the time. Hugh Laurie more than makes up for any short-comings though, the writing of his character and his perfect delivery makes for good entertainment.

Swede

ozyman 11-16-2005 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Gregory House character is great, but the episodes themselves are extremely formulaic. If you've seen one episode, you've seen them all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think my favorite episode was the one from the first season where they completed deviated from the formula. He had to teach some diagnostics class and he was working through 3 different stories that provided some nice back story on his life.

11-16-2005 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hugh Laurie played Bertie Wooster in it, is why I ask.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is wild. You Brits are talented. My mother got me to read some of the P.G. Wodehouse books when I was in high school. I loved Bertie Wooster! Didn't know Hugh Laurie played him. What a cool actor. I don't always like the House episodes but it's almost worth watching just to see Hugh Laurie. He's so talented and has pretty eyes.

samjjones 11-16-2005 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You stole my post...

It does have a formula but so do other shows that don't suck...Law and Order, Mash ("We got wounded here!"), early ER (before it became St. Elsewhere), the Prisoner, the Fugitive, etc...

In fact House is essentially CSI without annoying flashlights...except the acting/writing/hotladydoctor makes it stand out.

[/ QUOTE ]
At least in Law & Order the cases are different to some degree, and there can be a twist every now and then. On House, he busts on his staff, flirts with his boss, listens to Robert Sean Leonard tell him what a heartless bastard he is, they always try three different treatments before House notices something miniscule, and then gives the correct diagnosis. And also, other than last week, the patient always survives. The House character is the only one that shows any type of growth. Again, its a good show due to the acting, but it could be better, IMO.

dcasper70 11-16-2005 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think my favorite episode was the one from the first season where they completed deviated from the formula. He had to teach some diagnostics class and he was working through 3 different stories that provided some nice back story on his life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly believe that episode was the best single hour of network programming that I may have ever seen.