Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Who folds this river? (possibly inane content, but I do have a poll) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=395296)

A_C_Slater 12-10-2005 12:09 AM

Who folds this river? (possibly inane content, but I do have a poll)

Assume villian is an unknown. Stars $11 MTT.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP2 (t5260)
MP3 (t960)
CO (t3870)
Button (t2100)
SB (t2820)
BB (t2285)
UTG (t2230)
Hero (t3405)
MP1 (t790)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB calls t125, BB calls t100.

Flop: (t450) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t250</font>, SB calls t250, BB calls t250.

Turn: (t1200) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t800</font>, SB calls t800, BB folds.

River: (t2800) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t1620 (All-In)</font>, Hero..?

Firefly 12-10-2005 12:28 AM

Re: Who folds this river? (possibly inane content, but I do have a poll)

You are losing to the follwing hands
Flush (not of the crazy backdoor variety at all)
JT
KK
Yeah i call

gumpzilla 12-10-2005 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Some crazy backdoor flush

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's a normal flush draw that got there.

I'm not happy about, but I probably grit my teeth and call. I expect to lose. Absent a read, I couldn't really fault somebody for folding here.

Exitonly 12-10-2005 01:36 AM

i call pretty quick.

But i never make good folds.

12-10-2005 01:46 AM

Re: Who folds this river? (possibly inane content, but I do have a pol

I was the donkey that said instafold, because I thought I saw four diamonds. Three diamonds I instacall.

12-10-2005 01:47 AM

I call too, he could have made his flush, the betting pattern says he does (check- incorrect call, check-incorrect call, eureka! I hit it!).. I can't lay this down though, you have a little less than 3:1 odds to call, that's pretty huge, and you're probably ahead more than 30% of the time.

12-10-2005 08:55 AM

I bet he has K-x of diamonds. I still call though.

ansky451 12-10-2005 09:39 AM

Folding this is beyond horrible. I insta call.

12-10-2005 10:00 AM

For the guy saying the flop and turn are incorrect calls- If your gonna call the all in river, both are correct calls. This is one reason why the turn bet would be incorrect. If you plan on calling the river when the flush hits, you can't pot the turn. I would either push, or check behind.

kuro 12-10-2005 10:33 AM

That's hellaweaktight thinking. Your goal in this hand is to extract as much value with your set as you can. You don't do that by shutting everyone out by pushing the turn and you certainly don't do that by checking and not charging any of the draws. You can't be so concerned with implied odd that you go all-in trying to make it clearly wrong for people to chase their draws. You want players to make that call with their flush draw on the turn because you win chips the majority of the time. You also have to remember that you don't know this guy has a flush draw on the turn and you want him to call with other hands that are drawing completely dead against your set.

Villain's call on the turn is also clearly wrong because he doesn't know if your hand is strong enough that you'll call an all-in on the river. It just happens that this time you've got a hand that's unfoldable.

You call the river because 2 pair, a smaller set, an overpair, and complete bluffs may also push here.

OP played the hand appropriately and lost his stack. That's poker.