Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Capped to me in SB with JJ? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=150097)

ssomega 11-17-2004 01:32 AM

Capped to me in SB with JJ?

This was my 2nd hand at the table so I didnt have any reads.

1/2 table for bonus clearing purposes.

UTG bets, MP1 raises, MP3 3 bets and button caps.

Whats my play?

I folded.

BTW.....flop was 6JJ!!!!!

RichHarden 11-17-2004 01:34 AM

Re: Capped to me in SB with JJ?

Seems like a good fold, the wouldda been flopped quads shouldn't change how you think about this decision.

Shillx 11-17-2004 01:36 AM

Well played IMO.

Brad

ssomega 11-17-2004 02:24 AM

Thanks for the replies.

ps.....just noticed Im a journeyman now. Still feel like a newbie though.

MisterKing 11-17-2004 02:41 AM

Since you will clearly need to improve to win this pot, I don't blame you for folding. At best, you'll be getting 5:1 on your money pre-flop (4 other cappers, and the BB along for a loose call). More realistically, BB is probably out, and one or two of the early raisers may bail as well, cutting your pot odds substantially.

Lets say on average you'll get the BB out and all other players calling as well, yielding 4:1. You're short of the 7.x:1 you need to hit your set, but implied odds probably come close to offsetting this, as unimproved AA-QQ will usually pay you off.

Problem is, you can flop a set, and still not be best. Easily. And that's the dealbreaker here. Any flop containing an overcard forces you into a situation where you'll likely need to make a straight, flush, quads, or some other hand bigger than a set to win.

Not sure if this analysis helps anyone at all as far as thought processes, but really I think this is an easy fold, even at a LAG-gy 1/2 table.

Michael Davis 11-17-2004 02:43 AM

You should never fold when you are going to flop quads.

-Michael

lu_hawk 11-17-2004 02:47 AM

with all the aggression preflop you could make a pretty good argument that you have good enough implied odds on a set to call and see the flop.

mrpurple 11-17-2004 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should never fold when you are going to flop quads.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

I Think callling with the plan of flopping quads is the plan here. If your not planning on flopping quads I like the fold.

Michael Davis 11-17-2004 02:59 AM

"I Think callling with the plan of flopping quads is the plan here. If your not planning on flopping quads I like the fold."

Exactly. I see every flop because I am more optimistic than most.

-Michael

Entity 11-17-2004 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"I Think callling with the plan of flopping quads is the plan here. If your not planning on flopping quads I like the fold."

Exactly. I see every flop because I am more optimistic than most.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't you raise preflop every hand though, so you make sure you don't miss out on bets when you flop quads?