Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   92o (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=296238)

bruce 07-19-2005 05:34 PM

92o

Third or fourth level in a live event with $41,000 first place prize. There are still over 200 players. Blinds are 50/100. I have around T4000. Five limpers and I complete from the SB with 92o. Big blind checks so 7 of us see the flop.

Flop comes 9 3 5 rainbow.

I bet T800. Woman, next to last person to act, calls. I have her slightly covered.

Turn 9 3 5 Q rainbow.

I push. I earlier saw villian win a big hand from BB with
Q3s when she flopped top pair vs. a draw. She appeared to
be content for the moment with her newly acquired chip stack.

Comments appreciated.

Bruce

locutus2002 07-19-2005 05:52 PM

Re: 92o

With 7 players at the flop I might check fold this hand ATF.

I think its unlikely that villain called T800 with worse than you have. I think its more likely for you to check if you hit the Q since it would likely be two pair, so I think she should call you with her 9-beater.

I think the push takes alot of courage, but I think hero didn't need to get in this situation early on, with such a marginal hand.

Lloyd 07-19-2005 06:22 PM

It's not a bad completion pre-flop given the odds but I'm playing for trips or a two pair. I wouldn't get involved with this flop against 6 other players. My standard play would be to check and see the action. If it's folded around to the button who bets then maybe, maybe I'll play. And I don't think you need to overbet the pot if you do lead out.

On the turn I don't see why you need to push. There is 2300 in the pot. If you bet 1200 or so that's enough to know if you have the best hand.

bruce 07-19-2005 06:31 PM

Preflop my call is very marginal, but 12:1 BTF, I can't resist.

On the flop the pot is T1400. I'm not afraid to give it one
shot. I do have top pair. On the turn I certainly don't like my hand, but the pot is becoming large. Now what I have is of secondary importance. My primary objective is to win the pot. Can I bet large enough to blow my opponent off her hand? Even if she has a better Nine does she want to
risk her entire stack? How does she know I didn't flop or
turn some crazy two pair hand from the blind? The only way
I think she calls is if the Queen helps her. I guess it's
possible for her to have Q9, but I doubt it. I certainly don't want to go busted, but on the other hand I'm not afraid to push if I feel the situations warrants such action.

Bruce

Lloyd 07-19-2005 06:39 PM

How is the pot 1400 with 7 limpers and the blinds at 50/100? That's 7 times 100 equals 700 to me.

I think if you're up against 1 or 2 opponents then a probe bet is correct. But against 6 opponents I would almost guarantee you that more often than not you're up against a better hand then top pair weak kicker. I think checking and seeing the action gives you a lot of information to make a better decision. But that's just my play.

What about a set? Flops like these often hit a set for one of 7 limpers. I just think making a smaller bet on the turn will win you the pot if she has a weak hand and let you get away from it if she has a strong one. Lots of upside with minimum downside. Pushing has the same upside but more downside.

bruce 07-19-2005 06:54 PM

The blinds were 100/200, sorry.

Bruce

bruce 07-19-2005 07:30 PM

I considered making a smaller bet on the turn. On the flip side why risk your whole stack when half your stack does the job? However, I also felt if I pushed I would make it more difficult for my opponent to call. I really had no idea how well she played, so if I make another turn continuation bet the likelyhood of her calling increases compared to me pushing. Pushing if done with discretion sends a powerful
message to your opponent especially if you can bust them if they call. I balanced these two ideas together and that's why I ultimately decided to push. I may have been more likely to give up on the turn if my opponent were not a female. Please don't take this as a sexist remark.

Bruce