Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   $400 - SB flopped 2 pair (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=407670)

12-30-2005 09:25 AM

$400 - SB flopped 2 pair

6-max, UTG limps, I complete in SB with A4, BB checks.

Flop is A43, I bet 10, BB raises to 40, UTG folds.

BB is over aggro post-flop imo & I decide I will go all the way with this if he wants & my best chance to stack him is a turn or river CR. We both have about $600

So I call and then check-call a blank turn for 75.

River is a 3, so I give up on the CR & plan to call. He fires out 150 and in going through things I can't see this being worth calling. So I fold it.

Thoughts? I don't like my line. Re-raising flop & firing big at the turn seems an option in retrospect although I do give him a chance to drop something like A3/34 before he gets committed. Other lines? Maybe a donk bet on the turn?

Ghazban 12-30-2005 10:31 AM

Re: $400 - SB flopped 2 pair

Clearly, the problem is this:

[ QUOTE ]
I decide I will go all the way with this if he wants

[/ QUOTE ]
followed by this:

[ QUOTE ]
He fires out 150 and in going through things I can't see this being worth calling. So I fold it.

[/ QUOTE ]

with nothing in between indicating what caused your change of heart.

Isura 12-30-2005 11:53 AM

If you're going to induce a bluff, you have to call. The river doesn't change anything. I like your flop/turn line, but follow through with the plan.

12-30-2005 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Clearly, the problem is this:

[ QUOTE ]
I decide I will go all the way with this if he wants

[/ QUOTE ]
followed by this:

[ QUOTE ]
He fires out 150 and in going through things I can't see this being worth calling. So I fold it.

[/ QUOTE ]

with nothing in between indicating what caused your change of heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's aggro, but not an idiot, so the river caused my change of heart. I'm now beating a bluff, splitting with A4 & losing to everything else.

Ghazban 12-30-2005 01:18 PM

So what are you putting him on? Will he never bet a strong ace here?

12-30-2005 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what are you putting him on? Will he never bet a strong ace here?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's quite aggro so given the limping I think he would raise pairs & strong aces PF.

Maybe a missed 56 is possible. Just seemed too likely he had A3 or 34 & filled.

How do you play this from the flop onwards with the intention of getting villains stack in the middle? (with the assumption he probably has a worse 2-pair).

Ghazban 12-30-2005 01:33 PM

Is the flop rainbow? What exactly was the turn? In this situation, there are few bricks as almost everything could conceivably help someone in a limped pot.

[ QUOTE ]
How do you play this from the flop onwards with the intention of getting villains stack in the middle? (with the assumption he probably has a worse 2-pair).

[/ QUOTE ]
This question is too constricting. If you can really narrow his hand range down to A4, A3, and 43, of course the river play is to fold but I don't think you can be this certain (or if you can, you probably have a better read than just "over aggro post-flop"). Its a rarity for me to be looking to get in 150BB with a weak top two in a limped pot in the first place.

12-30-2005 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the flop rainbow? What exactly was the turn? In this situation, there are few bricks as almost everything could conceivably help someone in a limped pot.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This question is too constricting. If you can really narrow his hand range down to A4, A3, and 43, of course the river play is to fold but I don't think you can be this certain (or if you can, you probably have a better read than just "over aggro post-flop"). Its a rarity for me to be looking to get in 150BB with a weak top two in a limped pot in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop is rainbow, turn was a J I think. His range is str8, 2pair but I think does include other stuff like 56, A2, A5 23, 24, etc., though I think the non-made hands are much more likely to call than raise the flop, though I don't have a strong enough read to be sure. The reason I looking to get it in on safe turn / river is that the str8 is the only hand I really fear (until the river) and I think if I play it well he will stack of with worse 2-pairs.

My plan probably wasn't the best way of doing this as a river CR would look very strong & he would have enough left to lay it down. Other lines I thought of afterwards was to make it about 120 on the flop & then bet 2/3 or so on the turn. If he calls that he's calling the river. Alternatively calling his flop raise & leading for 75 on the turn will get him to raise if he has 2-pair & it should be easier to get it in then.

Any other ideas?

aba20 12-30-2005 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's aggro, but not an idiot, so the river caused my change of heart. I'm now beating a bluff, splitting with A4 & losing to everything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are beating a ton of one pair hands. You are ahead of any ace which he could easily be value betting. Easy river call.

Ghazban 12-30-2005 04:47 PM

Given what you've said in this thread, your line is fine up until the river, where you should call. You beat missed draws, 3-barrel bluffs, and he can't push you off what he thinks is a split (aces and threes with a jack kicker) if he's got an ace. With no raise, a paired board, and a broadway card out there, betting to steal half the pot from a split is not uncommon.