Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The Jackpot that almost was (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=257921)

Prelude008 05-23-2005 08:03 PM

The Jackpot that almost was

Last night I was playing 4-8 Hold 'Em at Hollypark. I limped in early position with A 8os (jackpots make Aces look better). Anyways I flopped AA6...turned a 9...rivered an A. My lone opponent had pocket nines for Aces full of nines. I had four Aces with kicker problems and couldn't beat the nine. Can't play both cards...can't win the jackpot. Bye bye 20% of 8K [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

csuf_gambler 05-23-2005 08:27 PM

Re: The Jackpot that almost was

fold preflop

radek2166 05-23-2005 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

jba 05-23-2005 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(jackpots make Aces look better).

[/ QUOTE ]

guess that's an illusion huh

pshreck 05-23-2005 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had four Aces with kicker problems and couldn't beat the nine. (

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean?

jar 05-23-2005 09:07 PM

Probably that both hole cards must play in the best 5 card hand in order to win the jackpot.

Also, the preflop call is why jackpot games are often very profitable even with the extra drop.

pshreck 05-23-2005 09:10 PM

Now I get it.

Anyways... it would count for the opponent using two whole cards? Is it because he can technically choose which of the two nines he wants to play?

ThinkQuick 05-23-2005 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now I get it.

Anyways... it would count for the opponent using two whole cards? Is it because he can technically choose which of the two nines he wants to play?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.

and this playing any ace is stupid, and yes people playing any two 'bad beat' cards in order to get it does indeed make the game profitable.

steamboatin 05-23-2005 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now I get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless I misunderstood your reply, No you don't get it.

The OP has to have both of his hole cards play and He can't beat the nine on the board. His eight doesn't play so the hand doesn't qualify for a bad beat jackpot hand.

pshreck 05-23-2005 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now I get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless I misunderstood your reply, No you don't get it.

The OP has to have both of his hole cards play and He can't beat the nine on the board. His eight doesn't play so the hand doesn't qualify for a bad beat jackpot hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you misunderstood it. When I typed anyways it implied that I was on a new line of thought, no? My question was something new altogether.