Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   MRE - Beef Stew (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=337265)

whiskeytown 09-15-2005 05:02 AM

MRE - Beef Stew

So a friend of mine brought in a box of MRE's today - he uses them for hunting - He sent a couple boxes down

I snagged one - it's beef stew - I can't cook it now (it comes with it's own pouch/heater, but it stinks - gotta do it at home on the balcony) -

anyone ever had some of these? - I've heard they're miles above old army rations - totally self sufficent - I tried a bit of the chicken from one that a friend cooked, and that was good.

RB

jokerthief 09-15-2005 05:04 AM

Re: MRE - Beef Stew

Yeah, I bought some when I was backpacking in CO. Not bad but not much food either. I was still hungry after I ate one.

w_alloy 09-15-2005 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I bought some when I was backpacking in CO. Not bad but not much food either. I was still hungry after I ate one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a very similiar experience.

whiskeytown 09-15-2005 05:55 AM

they appear high cal. but not a lot of food...

RB

MrTrik 09-15-2005 07:26 AM

Where do you get MREs? Army surplus like places?

vulturesrow 09-15-2005 09:29 AM

Whiskey,

The beef stew is one of the better ones. Stay away from the omelette one at all costs. They contain enough calories for an entire day in spite of the relatively low volume of food in the pouch.

whiskeytown 09-15-2005 09:32 AM

the guy who brought them in said the beef stew looks real bad but it tastes real good - [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] - it's deceptive in it's appearance...

yah...those are what you wanna take when you're on a month long sabbatical training for a marathon [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] - lots of calories....

ChipWrecked 09-15-2005 09:47 AM

I was told by a buddy who was in the Army a few years back that MRE stood for 'Meals Refused by Ethiopians'.

Shajen 09-15-2005 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was told by a buddy who was in the Army a few years back that MRE stood for 'Meals Refused by Ethiopians'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meal refuses to exit is more accurate.

They have roughly 3000 calories.

I've eaten roughly a ton of them in my life. They came out with a new style about 5 years ago, with crap like Riggatoni, stuff like that.

The beef stew one is one of the better ones, but the reigning champ is still and always will be the escaloped potatoes and ham.

You mix everything together, add the tabasco and heat. It's good.

vulturesrow 09-15-2005 10:07 AM

I think the new ones actually include a vegetarian option and there are some 'ethnic' ones too, e.g. Kosher and halal (Islamic). Escalloped potatos is a good one, chicken a la king is also a good one.