Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   implied odds on drawing to trash 2pr (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=346459)

fire_fly 09-28-2005 07:47 PM

implied odds on drawing to trash 2pr

Party Poker 2.00/4.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (7.00 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, Hero ?

Pot is offering 11:1 and me closing the action, but can I really call this a 5 outer? This situation comes up a lot, and I keep wanting to give myself some implied odds, but should I be giving reverse implied instead?

Hero calls.

Turn: (6.00 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Did I play the rest of the hand ok? Is the check raise pretty standard as long as the villain was pretty aggressive (he was.)

River: (14.00 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 18.00 BB.

Any thoughts appriciated. I'm fairly new to 2/4, just got my first 9k under my belt.

By the way, I know this is an easy turn call, but I was more interested in the theory behind it. If the pot would have been exactly 8:1 or even slightly less, would this have been a fold because of reverse implied odds, or a call because I can give myself some implied odds?

SeaEagle 09-28-2005 07:54 PM

Re: implied odds on drawing to trash 2pr

With something as weak as 82, I would compensate for giving myself at least 4 outs by not giving myself any implied odds. I definitely think you have odds to call here. Just remember to appropriately discount your outs if there's a flush draw or where making your 2 pair will complete a possible straight and you'll usually be ok on this decision.

The turn check/raise with a non-scare card is standard. Sometimes a scare card will cause MP1 to check the turn and, if you think that's likely, it's best just to bet out and make sure at least 1 bet goes in the pot.

hobbsmann 09-28-2005 07:57 PM

Re: implied odds on drawing to trash 2pr

you played this hand perfect. Like sea eagle said you probably need to discount your outs slightly, but getting 11:1 this is an easy flop peel and the rest of the hand pretty much plays itself.