Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   "Happy Holidays" v. "Merry Christmas" (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=401424)

12-19-2005 03:14 PM

\"Happy Holidays\" v. \"Merry Christmas\"

Has anyone else noticed the inordinate amount of (sometimes subtle) argument against using "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"? This year I've noticed it a lot more than in the past. And, have even noticed people saying "Happy Holidays" moreso than before. Very intriguing, I think.

Personally, I don't mind "Merry Christmas", "Happy Hannukah", "Joyous Quanza" (or whatever), or any other holiday greeting that people want to use. As long as it's not a Government entity endorsing one of those, of course. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thoughts? Have you noticed this (perhaps subtle) argument going on about the holiday greeting?

hmkpoker 12-19-2005 03:21 PM

Re: \"Happy Holidays\" v. \"Merry Christmas\"

"Happy Holidays" is a simple phrase that applies to everyone, doesn't (well, shouldn't) offend anyone, and doesn't alienate the rich jews with all the money who want to go shopping.

Seems +EV to me, and Bill O'Reilly can suck it.

RJT 12-19-2005 03:24 PM

Kip,

Happy Holidays is in vogue this year. What I find intriguing, though, is the “word” moreso. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

RJT

bocablkr 12-19-2005 03:26 PM

If someone wishes me 'Merry Christmas' I tell them I don't celebrate Christmas. If someone wishes me 'Happy Holidays' I say thank you.

12-19-2005 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Happy Holidays is in vogue this year. What I find intriguing, though, is the “word” moreso. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

What "word"? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

RJT 12-19-2005 03:47 PM

"Moreso". That is why I put quotes on "word". When did moreso become a word? It is quite in vogue on 2+2.

RJT

MaxPowerPoker 12-19-2005 04:00 PM

Six more shopping days left until "holiday".

Peter666 12-19-2005 04:01 PM

Interesting, because if somebody tells me "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings" I say: "Praise be the Lord Jesus Christ and [censored] all the other religions."

It tends to cause awkward silences at office Christmas parties.

12-19-2005 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Moreso". That is why I put quotes on "word". When did moreso become a word? It is quite in vogue on 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh! I see. I could lie and say I forgot the space... but I think I've seen it that way somuch, that it started looking right to me. Asitwere, thanks for pointing out my mistake, nottomention letting everyone else know aswell.

atrifix 12-19-2005 04:06 PM

I've heard that the OED has recently started including "moreso". Unfortunately, I don't have a copy to verify that.

bocablkr 12-19-2005 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting, because if somebody tells me "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings" I say: "Praise be the Lord Jesus Christ and [censored] all the other religions."

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are serious then I would have responded that there is no god and that would have really gotten things started.

MaxPowerPoker 12-19-2005 04:10 PM

Happy holidays, from Jesus.

12-19-2005 04:37 PM

Merry Christmas offended people, so it was widely replaced with Happy Holidays (to account for the small % of our population who is Jewish, non Jewish/Christian Africans, and/or indiginous germanic tribal living in America, I suppose), yet wouldnt Happy Holidays still offend atheists and muslims?

bocablkr 12-19-2005 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Merry Christmas offended people, so it was widely replaced with Happy Holidays (to account for the small % of our population who is Jewish, non Jewish/Christian Africans, and/or indiginous germanic tribal living in America, I suppose), yet wouldnt Happy Holidays still offend atheists and muslims?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am an atheist and it doesn't offend me. That IS why 'Merry Christmas' offends me (birth of Jesus, etc).

12-19-2005 04:44 PM

Holiday means Christmas, Hannukah, and/or Kwanzaa.

Knowing that by saying Happy Holidays, I am wishing you a well (enter any one of above holidays, none of which apply to you) that doesn't in any way offend you?

What offends you about Merry Christmas then, that doesnt offend you about Merry Christmas, Hannukah, and/or Kwanzaa?

12-19-2005 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am an atheist and it doesn't offend me. That IS why 'Merry Christmas' offends me (birth of Jesus, etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

And regarding the birth of Jesus, isn't it widely regarded among our intellectual superiors and other high ranking historian-types, both atheist and not, that Jesus was in fact a real person? In what way then, does the mere hint of his birth offend you?

bocablkr 12-19-2005 04:52 PM

Merry Christmas is about the birth of the so called 'son of god' - a concept I do not believe in. Hanukkah is about a great Jewish victory over the Syrian king, Antiochus. Not sure what the others are about. But they don't stress belief in God as their focal point.

lastchance 12-19-2005 04:52 PM

I like the tactful and always applicable "Have a nice break, or have a nice one." Has a nice ring to it, more than "Happy Holidays," anyway.

hmkpoker 12-19-2005 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the tactful and always applicable "Have a nice break, or have a nice one." Has a nice ring to it, more than "Happy Holidays," anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me this is a joke.

bocablkr 12-19-2005 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me this is a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

You meant jopke?

hmkpoker 12-19-2005 05:12 PM

"Happy Holidays" is a saying that has existed for a long time. When I was a kid, I barely knew what Hannukah was and never heard of Kwanzaa, and everyone told me that "Happy Holidays" referred to the TWO holidays that Christians celebrate during this time. Why waste another six syllables saying "and a happy new year?"

[ QUOTE ]
yet wouldnt Happy Holidays still offend atheists...

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine any atheist being offended by this. Any atheist can appreciate the kind act of exchanging gifts, spending time with his/her family, and having off from work. That's what Christmas always meant to me, and I don't even see any reason to be offended by the words "Merry Christmas." It's already pretty secularized and commercialized anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
...and muslims?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the [censored] cares? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

hmkpoker 12-19-2005 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!

That's excellent [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

12-19-2005 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe holidays doesnt need to be taken literally and can just be referring to the "holiday" or vacation that we get at this time of year, not to mention new years is often included when one says happy holidays.

KeysrSoze 12-19-2005 06:33 PM

Neither offends me. Actually I find it funny that first Christmas and its trappings were co-opted from various other solstice religious celebrations, then the god Mammon took it back.

BigSoonerFan 12-19-2005 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Happy Holidays" is a saying that has existed for a long time. When I was a kid, I barely knew what Hannukah was and never heard of Kwanzaa, and everyone told me that "Happy Holidays" referred to the TWO holidays that Christians celebrate during this time. Why waste another six syllables saying "and a happy new year?"

[ QUOTE ]
yet wouldnt Happy Holidays still offend atheists...

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine any atheist being offended by this. Any atheist can appreciate the kind act of exchanging gifts, spending time with his/her family, and having off from work. That's what Christmas always meant to me, and I don't even see any reason to be offended by the words "Merry Christmas." It's already pretty secularized and commercialized anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
...and muslims?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the [censored] cares? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

For once, I agree with ole Hairball. Christmas is the name of the holiday and to get sensitive about the "Christ" part of it. Many words have evolved past their original intent. Get over it.

Bigdaddydvo 12-19-2005 07:49 PM

Here's my main issue with "Happy Holidays."

It's bland. It's cliched. It's the Christmas equivalent of saying "Have a nice day." Hearing it every now and then is OK, and it never bothered me much in the past. What annoys me and most sensible people is the use of "Happy Holidays" to the exclusion of "Merry Christmas."

Christmas has both secular and religious components. If you celebrate the birth of Jesus whom I recognize as the Son of God and Messiah, great. If not, you probably at least celebrate the secular aspect of a gift exchange on the Federal Holiday designated to honor the founder of the Christian philosophy which has heavily influenced Western history and thought. If you don't partake in either, then you are in a pronounced minority and have as much business being "offended" by hearing someone greet you with "Merry Christmas" as I would taking offense to "Happy Ramadaan" in the middle of Saudi Arabia.

Jeff V 12-19-2005 08:48 PM

I find the term "Holiday Tree" is around more this year as well. That is ridiculous.

RJT 12-19-2005 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh! I see. I could lie and say I forgot the space... but I think I've seen it that way somuch, that it started looking right to me. Asitwere, thanks for pointing out my mistake, nottomention letting everyone else know aswell.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

p.s. I didn't mean to direct it at you personally. The part about it looking right is "moreof" what I had in mind.

BadBoyBenny 12-19-2005 09:52 PM

Even if you aren't celebrating you could still be merry.

lastchance 12-19-2005 09:53 PM

Eh... Sort of.

It's what I use, personally, because so many people at my school are Jewish, and therefore, do not celebrate Christmas, while everyone gets a nice happy 2 weeks off, which is really nice.

BadBoyBenny 12-19-2005 09:57 PM

I don't believe in Santa but I am still going to have a merry Christmas.

Why can't people just enjoy Christmas as a secularized mass splurge that is necessary for our economy?

Bigdaddydvo 12-19-2005 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why can't people just enjoy Christmas as a secularized mass splurge that is necessary for our economy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you.

RJT 12-19-2005 10:06 PM

I always say Happy Holidays to people I know who are Jews or other non-Christians. To say Merry Christmas to such folk is a bit ridiculous, not to mention bad etiquette. (“Doingso” is similar to not addressing a Judge, Doctor, Officers in the Military, etc. by their titles.) There is nothing wrong in using it as a greeting though and of course using it to fellow Christians is appropriate.

But, the whole exclusion scenario is absurd. If the trend is to do away with the legal Holiday, then let’s do it. To have the Holiday and then try to ignore it is hypocritical. (In fact, I wouldn’t mind at all doing away the whole shebang. It has gotten way out of control. But, I run my own “businessso” I can take off work when I want.)

Btw, Holiday Tree is, as Jeff suggests, “moranic“.

RJT

hmkpoker 12-19-2005 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus, gifts are always fun, no matter what religion you practice [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

hmkpoker 12-19-2005 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For once, I agree with ole Hairball.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhhhh...I'm bald from nose to thigh [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

hmkpoker 12-19-2005 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And regarding the birth of Jesus, isn't it widely regarded among our intellectual superiors and other high ranking historian-types, both atheist and not, that Jesus was in fact a real person? In what way then, does the mere hint of his birth offend you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we all have off from work on my birthday too? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

RJT 12-19-2005 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh... Sort of.

It's what I use, personally, because so many people at my school are Jewish, and therefore, do not celebrate Christmas, while everyone gets a nice happy 2 weeks off, which is really nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

He probably missed, what seemed apparent, that you are still at school (or perhaps work at one).

RJT 12-19-2005 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we all have off from work on my birthday too? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on if you are in a union and how strong it is.

12-19-2005 10:44 PM

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all, without any reservations, the compliments of the season. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

12-20-2005 12:27 AM

I think a lot of this that I'm hearing has to do with the hoopla over Bush's christmas cards saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas", even though it had a Bible verse in it too.

Anyway, just thought I'd wish everyone a "Happy Hanu-Christma-Kwansaa-Ka". [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]