Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   the mini-raise (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=397501)

12-13-2005 10:02 AM

the mini-raise

What do you think when you get mini-raised? Recently I have decided that the majority of the time the mini-raise means that this guy just made a hand but dosnet like making $$$ so he wants everyone to know. Do others see the mini-raise as a warning sign? What is you line when you have TPTK or better and get the mini?

beavens 12-13-2005 10:06 AM

Re: the mini-raise

minraise usually means theyre way behind or way ahead.

PoBoy321 12-13-2005 10:09 AM

Minraise can mean a lot of different things from a lot of different people.

henrikrh 12-13-2005 11:08 AM

Here's what I ahve found as standard in 6max Nl10 and nl25:

Min-bet: Either nothing or a big hand, hopfully a cheap showdown will reveal which and you will know for the future

Min-raise: Almost ALWAYS bad news, big hand.

Edit: MY line with TPTK vs a min raise becomes call-down, for info and becuase your pot odds for improving to 2 pair or trips arn't that bad when someone is min raising. I'd fold if I alreayd had the info and was damn sure it meant i was beat.

J Chap 12-13-2005 11:34 AM

What about the check min-raise? Trying to call down cheaply against this kind of action has destroyed me time and again.

e.g. i have KK, flop 37T rainbow, villain checks, i pot it, he min raises. [Edit: I know it depends on our stack sizes, and if we're both deep-stacked, a lot of people say i should 3-bet it and then fold to any further action. The thing is, I almost always seem to see that dreaded further action.]

and on the draw-heavy flop i've grown to be just as scared.

thoughts?

12-13-2005 03:54 PM

To me, it's one of two things:
1. Villian made a big hand is just looking to keep you involved.

2. Villian has a marginal hand and is looking to keep the pot small. I do this with something like A10 and the 10 hits as the high card on an uncoordinated board. To me, this hand is worth playing if I can keep the pot small. I don't want to play for my stack with a pair of 10's, but I want the guy with J10 to keep paying. Sometimes I get outdrawn or surprised by an overpair, but in general it's a nice way to pick up a few bucks.

ajmargarine 12-13-2005 04:06 PM

A minraise in response to first betting action can mean a variety of things from a variety of players in a variety of positions. For example, 5 players limp in and see a flop, BB bets his TP, next guy minraises...that can mean alot of stuff.

A delayed minraise after first betting action is complete is almost always a big hand. Same example as above, BB bets TP gets 2 callers, BB bets the turn again, 1 fold, and now minraise from Button = Big Hand.

poincaraux 12-13-2005 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A minraise in response to first betting action can mean a variety of things from a variety of players in a variety of positions. For example, 5 players limp in and see a flop, BB bets his TP, next guy minraises...that can mean alot of stuff.

A delayed minraise after first betting action is complete is almost always a big hand. Same example as above, BB bets TP gets 2 callers, BB bets the turn again, 1 fold, and now minraise from Button = Big Hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
These "big hand" miniraises *always* seem to get at least one caller. Do you ever use these yourself?

12-13-2005 07:51 PM

The type of min-raise I don't get is when there are like 3-4 limpers at a 6-max table and the guy in the SB or BB min-raises. I have seen this done before with a hand such as JT offsuit. What are they thinking?

TexArcher 12-13-2005 08:10 PM

It can mean many things from many players at different stages in a hand, as noted below, but from what I've seen it's most often someone who a) has a great starting hand preflop, or b) made a very strong hand on the flop, and in both instances villain does not know how to bet it correctly.