Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   DERB (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=370404)

droidboy 11-02-2005 01:22 PM

DERB

Since the new one got locked...

And why did it get locked? Dcifir- is fun bad?

This is news and gossip. not strategy, Barron

Wow, you give Baron moderator priviliges, and he kills one of the most meaningful strategy discussions in the entire forum. Just because you don't want it to be about strategy doesn't mean that's true. The whole discussion revolves around the concept strategy.

Amazing.

- Andrew

www.pokerstove.com

flawless_victory 11-02-2005 01:26 PM

Re: DERB

barron, plz stop.
we like the derb thread... derb prob likes it as well, haha.
IMO, u lock threads that stupid ppl start, no need to lock JVs thread... gossip is fun. chill. this is the forum we look at.

DcifrThs 11-02-2005 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since the new one got locked...

And why did it get locked? Dcifir- is fun bad?

This is news and gossip. not strategy, Barron

Wow, you give Baron moderator priviliges, and he kills one of the most meaningful strategy discussions in the entire forum. Just because you don't want it to be about strategy doesn't mean that's true. The whole discussion revolves around the concept strategy.

Amazing.

- Andrew

www.pokerstove.com

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. the actual REASON why derb does so well is important strategy. but look at the responses. they are ALL simply speculation, amusing annecdotes etc. further, the original DERB post is so large and cumbersome that its annoying to have blocking other threads from being created and read.

Andrew, i definately respect your opinion and will definately leave this thread opened so long as it doesn't degenerate into a he said she said no analysis conjecture and annecdote thread.

and i'll start:

having played with DERB for a long time now, from experience I'd say there is virtually no question he is a very strong winning player.

I have noticed that DERB's VPIP has dropped and his AF has remained constant from the 30/60 game Ive played with him to the higher limit ones. DERB used to be 29 or 30vpip and has dropped a %point to 27-28.

DERB still, however, seems to call down with hands that just can't win. ever. I think he does this to prevent ever getting bluffed out of the pot. but eventually he should adjust if he is as good of a player as the rest of his game indicates.

-Barron

sthief09 11-02-2005 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
barron, plz stop.
IMO, u lock threads that stupid ppl start, no need to lock JVs thread... gossip is fun. chill. this is the forum we look at.

[/ QUOTE ]

or maybe move it to the land of misfit posts, general hold'em. long threads like that are good there since there's not much traffic so 300 post threads don't block much. here, a lot of people post hands and it sucks when they get bumped to the second page because of one thread. I agree it's a good thread since it's starting to look like he might not be a lottery winner

DcifrThs 11-02-2005 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
barron, plz stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. this thread can stay open, but at least try to keep it strategy related. gossiping and what not is fine for NVG. taking huge long threads about one poster saying another poster's opinion is not valid w/o evidence and argument/discussion, imo is a waste. that combined with the trend of the gossipy nature of the threads was why i locked them.

Barron

astroglide 11-02-2005 01:31 PM

locking derb threads is retarded. there is signifigant value to be found in simply thinking about the possibility of winning bigger, or even the same, with bizarre-looking stats.

it doesn't matter if the posts are random. i don't pay any particular attention to the useless replies, but they serve as a reminder of the key point when the thread gets bumped via random discussion.

DcifrThs 11-02-2005 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
locking derb threads is retarded. there is signifigant value to be found in simply thinking about the possibility of winning bigger, or even the same, with bizarre-looking stats.

[/ QUOTE ]
this thread remains unlocked for strategy considerations. please dont turn it into reasons to unlock the other ones.

Barron

astroglide 11-02-2005 01:34 PM

i know you think you're acting in the forum's best interest here, which is a good thing in spirit.

in practice it's terrible, and you're completely misusing your mod privileges.

trying to shoehorn and direct discussions into an actively governed thread here is 100% lame.

mscags 11-02-2005 01:46 PM

So any thoughts on why exactly you think he is such a good player. It seems like his stats are unconventional but from what I hear he is clearly a winning player (I've never played with him) Is it his image, aggressiveness, etc. Just wondering as to what he does differently that the rest of us don't do. Is he exceptional at hand reading and getting out of sticky situations?

Scags

B Dids 11-02-2005 01:46 PM

What you ignore Dcifir, is that as goofy and internetty as this is- each forum does creat a sense of community. I think that's not as strong here as in micro, HUSH, SS, but it does exist.

The fact is that if you won't to talk about something gossipy in NVG, the discussion will be 100X more lame, because people who are not high-stakes poker players dominate that forum, and even if it's all jokes, it will be jokes that lack the context of the experience that posters in this form typically have.

Viewing the strat forums as strictly 100% strat is probably missing the boat in terms of how these forums have operated.