Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Should BK hire Tommy Angelo? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=338376)

bicyclekick 09-16-2005 05:13 PM

Should BK hire Tommy Angelo?

Would it be worth my time/effort/5k/lost short term EV to hire Tommy Angelo?

His teaching stuff is Here for those that aren't familiar.

Please only answer if you know him or I well enough for your oppinion to have some base.

Thoughts are appreciated too.

Thanks,
BK

brick 09-16-2005 05:29 PM

Re: Should BK hire Tommy Angelo?

<ul type="square"> [*]Do you have an opened mind?
[*]Are you interested in learning a style that is different from your typical style?
[*]Are you interested in learning from someone who doesn't play online?
[*]Do you have aspirations to continue to move up to even bigger games?[/list]

09-16-2005 05:29 PM

I did. I learned. I got better. My earn went up. I had a blast. I'd do it again.

BoxTree 09-16-2005 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would it be worth my time/effort/5k/lost short term EV to hire Tommy Angelo?

His teaching stuff is Here for those that aren't familiar.

Please only answer if you know him or I well enough for your oppinion to have some base.

Thoughts are appreciated too.

Thanks,
BK

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you should do this. Actually, I plan on doing this with Tommy (or perhaps someone similar) if I ever get to the point that my regular game makes the 5k fee look like a drop in the bucket. So...not until the next decade at the earliest. But you should start now.

NLSoldier 09-16-2005 05:54 PM

God I regret not doing it a few months ago when it was only 2k.

bicyclekick 09-16-2005 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
God I regret not doing it a few months ago when it was only 2k.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly lol.

worm33 09-16-2005 06:00 PM

extremly doubtful that it would help you. The things that tommy would help most people with imo is posistion and not going off. I dont think you have a problem with either. I also think theres a chance that it could take away some of your fearlesness/brashness. That would also prolly not be good.

Nightwish 09-16-2005 06:32 PM

I'm sure Tommy is a good teacher, but what exactly are you hoping to learn? His teaching is very much targeted towards live play. My guess is that it is you who can teach him something about the 100/200 online games as opposed to the other way around.

I think Tommy would have some interesting insight, but given where you are with your game, I doubt it's worth $5K to you.

bicyclekick 09-16-2005 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure Tommy is a good teacher, but what exactly are you hoping to learn? His teaching is very much targeted towards live play. My guess is that it is you who can teach him something about the 100/200 online games as opposed to the other way around.

I think Tommy would have some interesting insight, but given where you are with your game, I doubt it's worth $5K to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm perhaps him and I could arrange some sort of trade or reduced rate with me giving some high-stakes online thoughts.

I think I could have a thing or two to learn about live play. That's what I was thinking about the most...as well as the poker and life stuff. I agree I'm not super sure there is a lot of playing hands strategy for me to learn from him(although I'm sure there is some and I have an open mind), but i could definately use his attitude for approaching the game. Now that I think about it I could use a little NL help perhaps.

And going off what worm33 said, I definately don't have a problem with tilting. As a matter of fact I've dropped 200bb in the last 24 hours mostly at 50/100 and 100/200 and I'm still upbeat about poker.

I definately don't want to lose that feerlessness or I'll lose a significant part of my edge in the shorthanded mid/high stakes online games.

mplspoker 09-16-2005 07:09 PM

Who makes more $$ playing poker? You I'm sure. You don't take business advice from people who are less successful than yourself.. common sense... You should charge him if you had a trade...

Schneids 09-16-2005 07:15 PM

You don't need help with how to be a good poker pro (at least not at that pricetag!). You already have good discipline, table select well, don't let poker take over your life, and are good at playing lots when you're running well and confident.

PokerBob 09-16-2005 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't need help with how to be a good poker pro (at least not at that pricetag!). You already have good discipline, table select well, don't let poker take over your life, and are good at playing lots when you're running well and confident.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree. It may just be an interesting experience to absorb some different perspective, but poker-wise I can't see it making a huge difference for you.

PokerPrince 09-16-2005 07:22 PM

Might as well replace your toilet paper with 5k worth of hundred dollar bills and wipe your ass with them.

Evan 09-16-2005 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who makes more $$ playing poker? You I'm sure. You don't take business advice from people who are less successful than yourself.. common sense... You should charge him if you had a trade...

[/ QUOTE ]
While I agree with your conclusion, you're reasoning is absurd.

glen 09-16-2005 07:57 PM

good times. . . . in all seriousness, Tommy seems like his own player with intangibles that despite being beneficial to him may hurt other players, esp. good established online players like bk. fwiw pokerprince, I played in AC and met a good friend of Tommy's (Dave) and I brought up my admiration for his writing and what he brings to the game but also expressed my concerns about some of his poker theories. He said that Tommy WINS A LOT, which I assumed was true. . . .

CardSharpCook 09-16-2005 08:06 PM

I think it is pretty common to always feel slightly inadequate, to feel like you're a fraud - not really as good as your winrate suggests. I also think that you would be better served finding a friend, an eqaul with whom to talk about poker. You are past the point of needing a "teacher" but undoubtedly still have things to learn. Of course I don't really know you, nor do I know Tommy. So, whatever.

A_C_Slater 09-16-2005 08:09 PM

Yes.

Then come back here and divulge all of his given information for free.

Leaky Eye 09-16-2005 08:33 PM

I learned an awful lot back when I used to play with Tommy. I actually think his presence at the table was +EV for me. Because him sitting there playing his A game all night told me I had better do the same, and I did.

jbrock 09-16-2005 08:36 PM

I have to vote a strong yes.

I've read all of Tommy's articles and his posts here and in mid/high NL have always made me think much deeper and reexamine basic assumptions with positive net results. If I had known about this back when it was 2k, I would have done it in a heartbeat even though it would be 1/6th my bankroll.

In any sport, what separates the top elite from the merely very good? It is not skill, but the less tangible elements. Poker is a mostly mental game after you master the basics. This is the critical element to successful and long term winning and what a coach is very useful for.

Friends/schmiends. Everyone needs friends to unwind but we are talking here about a focused examination over 4 days on poker with your undivided attention on the matter (paying for the privilege focuses the mind wonderfully). I would not be surprised if what is beneficial about it is something that you would not have predicted beforehand.

have to run. good luck on the decision.

theBruiser500 09-16-2005 08:58 PM

I personally have less respect for Tommy's posts on 2+2 than almost anyone, however some people have told me Tommy is a great player and I take their word on it. There's no way Tommy could hurt your game. My vote is go for it, if you don't learn anything play an extra 10 hours or whatever it takes you to make it back weekend, if it does help your winrate improves for every hour of play for the rest of your life.

glen 09-16-2005 09:08 PM

"I also think that you would be better served finding a friend, an eqaul with whom to talk about poker."

I agree. I could never pay for lessons considering I can get free advice at will from legendary limit holdem expert Jesse Martin. . . .

Alex/Mugaaz 09-16-2005 09:47 PM

Seriously, you're both reasonable and smart. You should be able to work out a push if it's obvious it's a waste of both parties time.

Ulysses 09-16-2005 10:44 PM

Do it.

rigoletto 09-16-2005 11:14 PM

I think any time with Tommy is probably well spent no matter how your game is right now!

mike l. 09-17-2005 12:53 AM

ive learned more poker skillz from tommy than anyone. he changed me from tilted spazzy small winner to still spazzy but relatively way more stable and solid decent winner. (second best teacher has been gabe. third and very fundamental of course mason/sklansky.)

hopefully that will count as a recommendation, and not serve to scare you away.

Justin A 09-17-2005 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but Tommy makes way more than BK does in a live setting, which would be a big reason for him to take lessons.

09-17-2005 01:50 AM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

scott8 09-17-2005 03:07 AM

Who gives a f***?

I mean, what's 5k anyway?

PokerBob 09-17-2005 07:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only reasonable sould that thinks that this post is intended to be a joke?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.

NYplayer 09-17-2005 08:32 AM

unless you plan on trying to win a significant portion of your income from NL i say no. I learned a lot of what i know about poker from tommy. But that was 4 years or so. If i were in your shoes i would ask myself this question. Have I agreed with and or learned from anything tommy has written on these boards in the last year. For me the answer is no. Since we are similar in ability and the games we play i can only imagine that your limit holdem game would also not be improved by his help. if you were tilty and spazzy like mike l. i believe it could help. and while alost all players have problems with tilt i'm sure you are like me in that you don't, having developed good mechanisms for dealing with it.

esspo 09-17-2005 01:05 PM

I have the tiltless chip. The whole experience was nothing that I expected. Very hard to explain. Everything was... fuzzy, for lack of a better word. We talked some poker strategy, but not much. I use something that I took away from the experience every time I play and I mean EVERY SINGLE TIME. I am 10x the player than I was before. One caveat, before I took the course I was only a marginal winner at the 15/30 (~1bb/100). Hope that helps.

AceHigh 09-17-2005 01:34 PM

I would guess a player of your caliber would get more from hiring Sklansky to teach/coach you. I think he used to charge ~ 500/hr.

sthief09 09-17-2005 02:12 PM

PM clarkmeister... when I was in vegas he described it really well to me and it sounded very appealing for someone at your level. I think it would probably be worth it. in the games you play, a small improvement will yield a lot of money. it will also probably be nice to get away from MN for a while and talk poker with someone as interesting as tommy

TimM 09-17-2005 10:46 PM

Are you saying people here should be judged by the content and quality of their posts?

If that's the case, I'm screwed.

Boris 09-18-2005 01:01 AM

I guarantee you it is money well spent.

JihadOnTheRiver 09-18-2005 01:29 AM

I think BK should just stop referring to himself in the third person. Go look at your past posts. EVERY single one. Get over it.

Lawrence Ng 09-18-2005 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think BK should just stop referring to himself in the third person. Go look at your past posts. EVERY single one. Get over it.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF does this have to do with the post??

If you got a beef with BK talking in the 3rd person, PM him.

Lawrence

scott8 09-18-2005 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Scott agrees.

PokerBob 09-18-2005 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Scott agrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

pokerbob is sexy.

jason_t 09-18-2005 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Scott agrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

pokerbob is sexy.

[/ QUOTE ]

jason_t thinks that PokerBob wears skirts.