Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Paul Phillips WSOP Hand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=283821)

SossMan 06-30-2005 05:10 PM

Paul Phillips WSOP Hand

Link to PP Blog

I think that this hand is pretty ho-hum, but the response on his blog was pretty unsurprising and points to a lot of the misconception that seems to permiate intermediate players' thinking:

Try to formulate an opinion on the hand before reading the responses.

here's the hand....

They are in the first orbit after the dinner break. Blinds 200-400 a50.

Seven handed due to busting 3 players in the first orbit.

Folded to PP in the CO who makes it 1200 to go w/ T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. PP starts the hand with t13k.
Button raises to 2400. Button is unknown as he was recently moved to the table a few hands ago. Button starts the hand with approx t16k.
Blinds fold, PP calls.

Flop is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

PP checks with the intention of checkraising all in.

Button takes that as an obvious sign of weakness and pushes.

PP thinks for a bit and calls.

Pretty standard, right?

MLG 06-30-2005 05:13 PM

Re: Paul Phillips WSOP Hand

I think planning to c-raise doesnt leave you enough FE, but yes the call is pretty standard.

SossMan 06-30-2005 05:17 PM

don't you think the SOP for a preflop minraiser is to underbet the pot? if he bets half pot, then PP's checkraise is 3x his raise and cripples him. Even a 5k bet can have FE in a big live tourney (if the guy has overcards)

MLG 06-30-2005 05:26 PM

I actually disagree with that read somewhat. I think that scared players make those minraises, and those are the same players who maker overbet all-ins on the flop because they are afraid of making decisions later in the hand. However, im obviously more than willing to accept pps read in that situation.

11t 06-30-2005 05:27 PM

Well if villain has a big ace that missed PP isn't too far behind and if he has a smaller pair than PP is also fine.

He isn't getting awful pot odds either (around 1.5:1 if I read it right) and PP shouldn't be less than 50% to win this hand a large percentage of the time.

Double Eagle 06-30-2005 05:27 PM

How can he put his tourney life on the line with just a draw here? Shouldn't he fold and look for better spots later?

SossMan 06-30-2005 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can he put his tourney life on the line with just a draw here? Shouldn't he fold and look for better spots later?

[/ QUOTE ]

if I never hear the term "tourney life" again, I would be a happy man

Sluss 06-30-2005 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think planning to c-raise doesnt leave you enough FE

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if the Villan pots it he will still have 7kish behind I think that is good enough to keep behind for someone who is min-raisng p-flop.

The call is a no brainer. I surprised he even thought about it.

Double Eagle 06-30-2005 05:34 PM

You can't come back from zero.

sam h 06-30-2005 05:37 PM

PP is likely to have 12-15 outs, getting roughly 1.6:1, so a call looks good. Only something like AKh really has him in trouble here.

Against an aggressive player with a lot of gamble in him, it might be better to just open push. But it sounds like the button wasn't that kind of guy.