Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Wow... we need details on this hand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=325812)

Army Eye 08-30-2005 07:24 AM

Wow... we need details on this hand

After a flop of 10-9-2 Paul Phillips moves all in. Jennifer Harman goes into the tank for long time. "This is a tough hand," she says, as she pops out of her seat. Eventually, she decides to muck pocket aces face up. Paul Phillips gives her a surprised look, and says, "I'll let you off the hook." He then exposes pocket tens for top set.

After the hand Phillips has $196,000 in chips. Harman has $94,000 in chips.

Bigdaddydvo 08-30-2005 07:31 AM

Re: Wow... we need details on this hand

That's sick...but then again there's a reason that they're both world class players.

Yeti 08-30-2005 07:41 AM

There is one hand I probably overplayed but I'm not too broken up about it. Jennifer Harman is constantly raising my blind from late position. She has about 130K, I have about 180K. Par at this point is maybe 60K so we both have large stacks. I call her 4500 raise in the big blind with TT. The flop comes T92. I bet 9000 and she raises to 29000, leaving her with 94K. I move it all-in and she finds a way to lay down aces. Looked at from one perspective this is an egregious waste of a 10-1 favorite, but instead I'll give her credit for a monster laydown... one she might easily not have made.

AlphaWice 08-30-2005 07:45 AM

man what a pro fold lol.. she listens to hellmuth huh

08-30-2005 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

There is one hand I probably overplayed but I'm not too broken up about it. Jennifer Harman is constantly raising my blind from late position. She has about 130K, I have about 180K. Par at this point is maybe 60K so we both have large stacks. I call her 4500 raise in the big blind with TT. The flop comes T92. I bet 9000 and she raises to 29000, leaving her with 94K. I move it all-in and she finds a way to lay down aces. Looked at from one perspective this is an egregious waste of a 10-1 favorite, but instead I'll give her credit for a monster laydown... one she might easily not have made.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, any re-reraise at this point undoubtly means a set of 9's or 10's. You don't simply want to call; you need to score the money right there, it's too big and important. Only an all-in from her is worth the possible suckout. I don't really know if you would want her to call the all-in right there, because after you score that 29k you are already in a great position in the tournament. If you need at least a couple hundred k more to the final table, then a nice piece of acting to make her call would really be prefered, although I'd have no idea how to re-reraise all-in to Harman and not showing my cards painted on my forehead.

08-30-2005 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After a flop of 10-9-2 Paul Phillips moves all in. Jennifer Harman goes into the tank for long time. Eventually, she decides to muck pocket aces face up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seen her in a couple final tables now and her ability to read people seems just frightening. With that talent I'm suprised she doesn't place even more often.

fnurt 08-30-2005 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, any re-reraise at this point undoubtly means a set of 9's or 10's. You don't simply want to call; you need to score the money right there, it's too big and important. Only an all-in from her is worth the possible suckout. I don't really know if you would want her to call the all-in right there, because after you score that 29k you are already in a great position in the tournament. If you need at least a couple hundred k more to the final table, then a nice piece of acting to make her call would really be prefered, although I'd have no idea how to re-reraise all-in to Harman and not showing my cards painted on my forehead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with this. The reraise from Paul represents a strong hand but it is a pretty standard pro move as well. Or he could have something like QQ in this spot.

Look at it this way. Harman has been agressive and raising with a lot of hands. She could have a lot of things here. So her flop raise doesn't have to mean a real hand; it could simply be an attempt to continue the aggression in response to Paul's probe bet. So Paul can make a move on the pot at this point with a lot less than a set.

I don't think he had any right to expect a laydown of AA, but the fact that he did induce such a laydown demonstrates the power of this move. After all, if there's a certain bet that a pro will expect me to only make with a set, then I should probably make that bet with a lot of hands.

drewjustdrew 08-30-2005 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot to link to his blog

Jordan Olsommer 08-30-2005 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After a flop of 10-9-2 Paul Phillips moves all in. Jennifer Harman goes into the tank for long time. "This is a tough hand," she says, as she pops out of her seat. Eventually, she decides to muck pocket aces face up. Paul Phillips gives her a surprised look, and says, "I'll let you off the hook." He then exposes pocket tens for top set.

After the hand Phillips has $196,000 in chips. Harman has $94,000 in chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

...Wow.

She has to have a read and a half on him to make this laydown, I think.

If we can give Paul a range of {22,99,TT,JJ-AA}, then she's ahead over two-thirds (19/28) of the time. It looks like she could make the laydown strictly on a mathematical basis (if she were playing this hand online against a complete stranger, for example) if she could eliminate say JJ and QQ - then she'd be a dog to a set 6/13ths of the time, a favorite overpair vs overpair 6/13ths of the time, and AA vs AA the remaining 1/13th. Though of course that's a very rough calculation.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one and Hachem's AA laydown to the set of nines on the 9-high flop in the ME.

nolimitpro2005 08-30-2005 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's sick...but then again there's a reason that Jennifer Harman is a world class player.

[/ QUOTE ]