Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   ATo flops some broadway, how many misplays? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=391107)

Bill Smith 12-04-2005 01:24 PM

ATo flops some broadway, how many misplays?

3/6 live game. Our villian, MP, is loose preflop and somewhat tricky and aggressive postflop. He gives my bets a fair amount of respect.

EP limps, MP limps, I limp (?) with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the button, blinds come along.

Flop (5 SB): A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to me. I bet. Only the tricky MP calls.

Turn (3.5 BB): A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

MP checks. I bet...

Please discuss preflop AND turn play.

jt1 12-04-2005 02:02 PM

Re: ATo flops some broadway, how many misplays?

flop: limping is very poor here. Being in LP against just 2 limpers, you want to isolate them and gain enough leverage to push them out on the flop in case you miss.

Turn: I don't see any other play but to bet/call

me454555 12-04-2005 02:17 PM

I'd want some poorer opponents to limp here pf. I'm not a fan of isolation b/c in 3/6 live, the bb will always call. Give more info on the turn b/c right now it seems incredibly standard

Bill Smith 12-04-2005 07:37 PM

Preflop: It is unlikely that I can isolate the limpers. BB is pretty loose passive and SB is only slightly more reasonable. What are we advocating here: Call, Raise or Fold?

Turn: Given that MP respects my bets, I don't see a bet as being +EV. In the game, I essentially autobet, but after the fact didn't like it.

The pot is small, and he likely is putting me on an ace. He's competent enough to fold any Q, J or straight draw. If he's calling my turn bet, he either has a weak ace (which is a chop), has me beat, or called the flop with exactly Kx or T9 of spades.

On the other hand, he may bet or call with a Q on the end if I check the turn, and I certainly wouldn't mind a Q, J or T hitting on the river if his hand improves. A spade could be bad and a K could chop, but it's pretty unlikely he has the spades, and he's more likely to be holding a K than looking for one.

While there is some risk involved, the pot is small and a check looks good to me. The river plan is to call a bet or bet if checked to. Anybody like?

12-04-2005 10:18 PM

What I dont get about this is that your hand is not a drawing hand but an ATo with little conectedness, why would you want to inspire more people to enter the pot?

Bill Smith 12-05-2005 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I dont get about this is that your hand is not a drawing hand but an ATo with little conectedness, why would you want to inspire more people to enter the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

The alternative is raising when you know you're most likely only knocking out 1 player and giving all sorts of gutshots and pair/kicker draws odds to see a turn.

brettbrettr 12-05-2005 12:49 AM

This is a pretty simple hand. It goes raise pre-flop, and bet the next two streets.

12-05-2005 01:06 AM

really with 2 loose limpers i'd say the correct play is to raise here in lp..

Harv72b 12-05-2005 01:14 AM

You're not only raising to isolate preflop, but raising for value with what is probably the best hand (or at least a race situation).

The turn is a pretty obvious bet with some potential draws still out there, and if he check/raises I'm 3-betting, calling a four bet, and calling on the river.

Redd 12-05-2005 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a pretty simple hand. It goes raise pre-flop, and bet the next two streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with this. I don't really see where the confusion is.