Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Dealing with variance (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=384835)

11-25-2005 01:06 AM

Dealing with variance

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I was going to post it in Beginners, but I thought I'd get more of a response here.

How do you guys cope with it? Lately I feel like I don't remember how to play anymore. :/

What I started to do tonight was take notes on myself as I played. I took note if I made a mistake and made a list of leaks I was doing. Anyone else have tips?

NateDog 11-25-2005 01:09 AM

Re: Dealing with variance

I haven't won a hand in a week. I took today off. Maybe tomorrow too, but I doubt it. Variance happens, there is no way around it. Don't look for leaks that aren't there, but do close up the ones that are. Are you thinking about why you make a play before you make it, or are you blindly pressing buttons without thought to your other options?

jaxUp 11-25-2005 01:11 AM

Study enough to make sure you're still playing correctly. Taking notes on youself is a good start. Basically, it can be very tough psychologically, but you've just got to try and remain confident. I recently went on a downswing that lasted 7-8k hands and it can really [censored] with your head. Don't let it.

bottomset 11-25-2005 01:20 AM

I like to go back down to 1/2 6max and stomp on it for a couple days whenever I'm running bad

Sightless 11-25-2005 01:21 AM

I just buy in with large chip stacks and dont leave team im up or break even.

jaxUp 11-25-2005 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to go back down to 1/2 6max and stomp on it for a couple days whenever I'm running bad

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty big loss of EV though. I usually try to tough it out.

bottomset 11-25-2005 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty big loss of EV though. I usually try to tough it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but maximizing my EV isn't my absolute goal with poker, and 1/2 is soo much fun .. its usually just 1session, relax and then go back to business

NateDog 11-25-2005 01:49 AM

1/2 6 is the source of my frustration currently. 83o UTG, seriously? Seriously?

celiboy 11-25-2005 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't won a hand in a week. I took today off. Maybe tomorrow too, but I doubt it. Variance happens, there is no way around it. Don't look for leaks that aren't there, but do close up the ones that are. Are you thinking about why you make a play before you make it, or are you blindly pressing buttons without thought to your other options?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? How many hands are we talking about here?

Yea it sucks, get used to it...my last 10 sessions. Fairly typical....

+48
+30
+16
+5
+3
+11

cfjr2 11-25-2005 02:00 AM

i am getting killed by people cold calling 3 w/K9s from SB or limping A6o and my BB flops 2 pair. bet / call. turn is A - he caps his top pair river is another A.
or inversely - I have 8+ outs and never seem to hit. I've been reviewing every hand I play and except for some river calls where I'm fairly sure I'm beat I cant find any leaks...down 160BB - thought i was out of the downswing the other night - up >25 BB early THEN down 50 BB climb back to down 15 same tonight +15 now down 15