Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Party 10/20 NL:River Overbet (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=366598)

hit_the_set 10-27-2005 12:32 PM

Party 10/20 NL:River Overbet

Shorthanded Party 10/20 NL game. Villain in this game a good thinking player. He has built his stack mainly through me. So needless to say, I am looking to get it back. I have gone allin on air, nuts, draws etc..But almost every time he has folded. I think this is important to the hand.

Stack sizes: I got about 3100 and villain has me covered.

Hero is button with 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and raises to 60(standard raise). Villain calls in SB.BB folds

Flop
3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain checks, Hero checks

Turn
9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain bets 150, Hero min raises to 300. The Minraise was to see If he had the 9 or a better pocket pair.

River is a blank

Villain checks. Hero goes allin for the rest..abt 2900

Good, bad?

FoxwoodsFiend 10-27-2005 12:34 PM

Re: Party 10/20 NL:River Overbet

The overbet with quads on a two-pair board is a pretty easy play to make. Nobody lays down a 9 and you're not losing too much value against other hands because any other hand is worried about a 9 or a 3.

ML4L 10-27-2005 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shorthanded Party 10/20 NL game. Villain in this game a good thinking player. He has built his stack mainly through me. So needless to say, I am looking to get it back. I have gone allin on air, nuts, draws etc..But almost every time he has folded. I think this is important to the hand.

Stack sizes: I got about 3100 and villain has me covered.

Hero is button with 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and raises to 60(standard raise). Villain calls in SB.BB folds

Flop
3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain checks, Hero checks

Turn
9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain bets 150, Hero min raises to 300. The Minraise was to see If he had the 9 or a better pocket pair.

River is a blank

Villain checks. Hero goes allin for the rest..abt 2900

Good, bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet the flop.

ML4L

mgsimpleton 10-27-2005 01:11 PM

ifthe minraise was to see if he had a 9 or a pocket pair, and he just called and checked the river, why would you deduce that he did have the 9?

VanVeen 10-27-2005 01:15 PM

Bet the flop. Given that you didn't bet the flop, raise more on the turn.

hit_the_set 10-27-2005 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ifthe minraise was to see if he had a 9 or a pocket pair, and he just called and checked the river, why would you deduce that he did have the 9?

[/ QUOTE ]

Duck: I did not put him on the 9. Judging by his call on the turn and the river check, I did not really see him having the 9. I dont think he is checking the river to me If he had the 9.

AceHiStation 10-27-2005 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree here. I understand how much everyone on 2+2 advocates betting the flop, but sometimes you gotta let one more card fall. Unless I've been extremely aggressive, I check this flop. I think I raise the turn bigger, instead of 2* his bet, make it 3* his bet. My goal on the turn here is to build a pot big enough to allow a call on the river to a push.
-Ace

Big_Jim 10-27-2005 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless I've been extremely aggressive, I check this flop

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
He has built his stack mainly through me. .... I have gone allin on air, nuts, draws etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good situation to bet the flop.

While I understand that you're only getting value out of hands like KQ, Ax, etc etc if they hit their pair, you are missing out on a ton of value from any tricky PPs a 9, spades, or some move that villian tries to pull off.

durrrr 10-27-2005 02:38 PM

assuming you bet ~400 on the river... do you think a 9 just calls? can you see what im getting at?

hit_the_set 10-27-2005 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
assuming you bet ~400 on the river... do you think a 9 just calls? can you see what im getting at?

[/ QUOTE ]

No sir. Can you come again? I am confused. Are you advocating the overbet or....