Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Persons killed in Iraq (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=396917)

odellthurman 12-12-2005 04:05 PM

Persons killed in Iraq

This is interesting, regardless of your position on Iraq.

Bush comments on 12-12-05 about number of persons killed in Iraq: "I would say 30,000 more or less have died as a result of the initial incursion and the ongoing violence against Iraqis," the president said. "We've lost about 2,140 of our own troops in Iraq."

And this is from a website devoted to remembering victims of the 9-11 terrorist attacks: "CONFIRMED DEAD: 2948 • REPORTED DEAD: 24 • REPORTED MISSING: 24 • TOTAL: 2996"

BCPVP 12-12-2005 04:58 PM

Re: Persons killed in Iraq

I think he's talking about those who died from combat-related injuries, not those who died in accidents. Just a guess.

theweatherman 12-12-2005 07:50 PM

I think he was trying to show that over 10X the amount of people havedied in Iraq than died on 9/11.

Autocratic 12-12-2005 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he's talking about those who died from combat-related injuries, not those who died in accidents. Just a guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds right, though it would make his statement incorrect.

peritonlogon 12-12-2005 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His early statement is not just American troops, but Iraqis too, and it's probably way on the low side.

BCPVP 12-12-2005 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His early statement is not just American troops, but Iraqis too, and it's probably way on the low side.

[/ QUOTE ] According to this site, he's actually on the high side.

Arnfinn Madsen 12-12-2005 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, maybe his source? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] In all honestly, I heard the clip when he says it and he does not claim that his number is correct. He puts it out as a guesstimate.

BCPVP 12-12-2005 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In all honestly, I heard the clip when he says it and he does not claim that his number is correct. He puts it out as a guesstimate.

[/ QUOTE ]
Which is the honest thing to do, since we really have no way of knowing precisely how many Iraqis have died. Hell, libs can't even nip at him for picking a lower, better looking number..

Cyrus 12-13-2005 03:50 AM

They are not persons, they are kilos

May I remind you how some of those "dead American soldiers" over whom Bush is crying crocodile tears are coming home to be buried ?

Cargo freight!

PoBoy321 12-13-2005 04:05 AM

You could basically throw out any number and make it right. I think that the really important number is the number of civilian casualties as a result of US military and occupational action in Iraq. You'll be able to find out exactly how many Iraqi lives are worth 1 American life.

sweetjazz 12-13-2005 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good link, but his number is more consistent with the lower figure they give, because that just lists civilian casualties, while Bush was giving an estimate for the total number of persons killed altogether. (Which is not a criticism of his figure, just a comment on your comment.)

New001 12-13-2005 05:04 AM

Does the 30,000 deaths include military deaths? Does it include "insurgents'" deaths? Is it just civilian deaths? Does anybody know?

12-13-2005 10:55 AM

Re: They are not persons, they are kilos

[ QUOTE ]
May I remind you how some of those "dead American soldiers" over whom Bush is crying crocodile tears are coming home to be buried ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cyrus, I've had the distinct honor and sadness to be involved with military flights returning coffins stateside for burial. There is a very strict protocol involved. You don't find, in my experience, infractions of the procedures. Every possible means of showing respect is in place. Those are not happy crews during those flights.

I can't say how commercial flights operate. I do know they have policies/procedures which, IIRC, are dictated by the DoD as part of their contract(s) for shipping coffins. I'm comfortable they follow their agreement.

I didn't comment on the other attempt at making the process look shameful because nobody seemed interested in it. Your remark is in the middle of an active thread and I decided to share my knowledge.

sternroolz 12-13-2005 11:25 AM

How come no one ever points out the number of dead in Kosovo, a place we now know was truly needlessly bombed and invaded, due to U.S. bombing?

PoBoy321 12-13-2005 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How come no one ever points out the number of dead in Kosovo, a place we now know was truly needlessly bombed and invaded, due to U.S. bombing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because strategic bombings < full scale invasion and occupation

EDIT: Also because it would take 60 years of bombing Kosovo to come to the total dead in Iraq linky

Richard Tanner 12-13-2005 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you trying to get the terror level raised or something, shhhhhhhhh.

Cody

BCPVP 12-13-2005 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does the 30,000 deaths include military deaths? Does it include "insurgents'" deaths? Is it just civilian deaths? Does anybody know?

[/ QUOTE ]
The number from the website I posted deals with civilian deaths. I may have misread the comment Bush made, as I thought he was talking about civilians dead. I'm pretty sure the number from Iraq Body Count and Bush's number do not include insurgents, but I could be wrong.

It's tough to find information on how many insurgents have been killed. Wikipedia mentions a WaPo op-ed that estimates the number of insurgents dead at 45,000 to 50,000 (which is evidence that Bush was referring to civilians dead, not total people dead).