Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   AA in BB,8 limpers & I didn't raise. My buddy almost had a heartattack (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=353006)

NLfool 10-08-2005 03:43 AM

AA in BB,8 limpers & I didn\'t raise. My buddy almost had a heartattack

15/30 and yes that's correct 8 limpers, me with AA in the BB and I wrap the table. My friend sweating thought it was the worse thing he's seen. In the car we were split 2 thought it was horrendous 2 thought it was OK. ?

yvesaint 10-08-2005 03:45 AM

Re: AA in BB,8 limpers & I didn\'t raise. My buddy almost had a heartat

can you give your reasoning for not raising AA pre-flop when your equity is ginormous

Emperor 10-08-2005 03:47 AM

Re: AA in BB,8 limpers & I didn\'t raise. My buddy almost had a heartattack

You win this hand WAY more than 1 in 8 times... You should be raising for value..

NLfool 10-08-2005 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
can you give your reasoning for not raising AA pre-flop when your equity is ginormous

[/ QUOTE ]

yes that's true but unless you play in LA it's hard to explain. Bad reasoning at that moment but a raise here IMO will only make it; more likely to lose the hand + the CO was rather aggressive so I felt if the flop was right I could clear out the field. It's no excuse but I was also getting outdrawn a lot. Eh when you're running bad you play scared (people preach not to do it but it's impossible IMO)

jetsonsdogcanfly 10-08-2005 03:57 AM

yeah a raise basically gives any hand with more than one out odds to call on the flop.

flawless_victory 10-08-2005 03:58 AM

i thought this thread was a joke.
now youre sounding really serious? either way im not sure why im posting.

jetsonsdogcanfly 10-08-2005 04:06 AM

haha. my thought's exactly.

what happened? i blacked out.

ihardlyknowher 10-08-2005 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but a raise here IMO will only make it; more likely to lose the hand

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is true - but you are (over)compensated for this reduction in likelihood of winning by the $ that is going into the pot now.

dmoney 10-08-2005 09:45 AM

I think this is a very advanced play even though u don't seem to recognize it.

You should always think about why you are raising. In this case 7 ppl are already in the pot in front of u. Preflop Raising is used to do 1 of 3 things.

1) Build a bigger pot.
2) Knock ppl out of a hand when your hand is vulnerable.
3) Alert people to your holdings.

Answer to 1) You do NOT want to build a bigger pot here becuase then EVERYONE will be out to win this pot and stay till the end and you are far less likely to win the pot at the end of the hand.

2) 7 people in a pot already, nobody will fold to 1 more bet (especially from someone in the blinds) Use ur BB position to disguise ur hand and if and when an ace flops u are GOLDEN. Nobody on earth can put u on Aces cause u didnt raise preflop with 8 ppl in the pot.

When the flop is favourable for you its MUCH easier to get ppl out of the pot post flop once they havnt hit anything.

Especially if you flop a monster. You can slow play the flop and get a few more ppl to stay in till the turn and river where u can extract more money from them.

Normally i would never say check preflop but with that many people in a pot and u being out of position id say check away and get away from your hand if a very scary flop comes or more then 1 person shows alot of strength.

vmacosta 10-08-2005 09:47 AM

You have two nut flush draws...raise it up.