Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   JJ, opening hand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=404090)

handsome 12-23-2005 05:15 PM

Re: JJ, opening hand

I don't like the preflop reraise. Since you're going to have approximately the same amount of equity whether you raise or call, I think it's pretty clear that you shouldn't VP$IP more chips in, to reduce variance. In higher buy-ins, you can use "PFR-deception" to your advantage, but at the 11's it's overrated, especially with a hand like JJ.

cold_cash 12-23-2005 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I limp with jacks or lower in lvl 1 or 2. That is assuming this is an $11 or $22.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can this be right?

12-23-2005 07:28 PM

at these levels you see a ton of people calling big raises preflop with ace-x. After the flop I would make a smallish sized bet and if called I would not make another stab, if reraised I would fold personally.

hobbes9324 12-23-2005 07:57 PM

At the $10 level, if you play this hand 100 times, and the flop has an ace in it, you're going to be looking at AT LEAST A-x about 90 times - they just won't toss a hand with any ace in it - they'll go all-in with A-x a lot, so calling a $150 raise is not gonna stop them. Add in the callers with 8-8, 2-2, and any two diamonds - your only out is a J.
I just limp in, and no set no bet it.......keeps me from punching my monitor out. I bet JJ is way high on the list for money losing hands, especially in the 10/20 buy ins.

12-23-2005 08:22 PM

I hate your name.

cold_cash 12-24-2005 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At the $10 level, if you play this hand 100 times, and the flop has an ace in it, you're going to be looking at AT LEAST A-x about 90 times - they just won't toss a hand with any ace in it - they'll go all-in with A-x a lot, so calling a $150 raise is not gonna stop them. Add in the callers with 8-8, 2-2, and any two diamonds - your only out is a J.
I just limp in, and no set no bet it.......keeps me from punching my monitor out. I bet JJ is way high on the list for money losing hands, especially in the 10/20 buy ins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't I want them to call this raise w/ Ax though?

I understand not being pumped about an Ace high flop, I just don't understand the limping in part.

pergesu 12-24-2005 04:39 AM

You should limp if you have subpar poker skills. Otherwise you should raise.

The only problem on the river though is that you don't know if he was going for a check-raise on the turn or not. However when you check behind it means he could have a good hand or a total bluff, so a call is mandatory.

Well played imo.

curtains 12-24-2005 04:50 AM

My typical play by far is to flat call

SammyKid11 12-24-2005 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My typical play by far is to flat call

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this consider that OP tells us throughout the thread that this is an 11? Would you not re-raise with more than your typical re-raise hands when facing a min-raiser and a couple of callers...like, to thin out the garbage that people will minraise with/call minraises with?

Or does your standard flat call deal more specifically with the higher buyins?

curtains 12-24-2005 05:43 AM

Oh I didnt see the buyin. Ummm....In a $33 Id flat call, an $11 is trickier, they are just a bit too stupid for me to play so weakly. I might reraise a bit more though. Im not sure about the flop bet into 3 morons on an ace high flop.