Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Movies that keep getting better . . . (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=342643)

Taraz 09-23-2005 06:44 AM

Movies that keep getting better . . .

. . . every time you see them.

I didn't think Anchorman was that funny the first time I saw it. Then it was on HBO a while back and I just kept watching it cause nothing else was on and I would catch something new and hilarious every single time. So it got me thinking, "[censored] what other movies did I think were crap but are really sweet?"

diebitter 09-23-2005 06:54 AM

Re: Movies that keep getting better . . .

Hmm, this is pretty personal and specific, I'm betting. Films that improve with viewing (or at least seemed better the second time than the first) for me were:

Young Frankenstein (which I enjoyed as silly the first time, but now think is actually pretty masterfully made)

Equilibrium (went from downright hated the first viewing, to pretty okay the second time)

Empire Strikes Back (liked it obviously the first time, but thought ep 4 was way better, but, meh, you live and learn)

Ed Wood, Sleepy Hollow (I've noticed it's often the way with Tim Burton films that they improve with more viewings)

Mallrats

siccjay 09-23-2005 06:54 AM

I always say this about Anchorman.

private joker 09-23-2005 07:10 AM

The Talented Mr. Ripley

captZEEbo1 09-23-2005 07:23 AM

Boogie Nights, Jackie Brown, Pulp Fiction, Magnolia

Rushmore 09-23-2005 08:07 AM

Napolean Dynamite, probably because of all the hype. First viewing, I was like "what the f*ck?" Each subsequent time, it gets funnier and funnier.

Monster, which I thought was badly overrated when I first saw it. But watching it several more times, it really is a great film.

Forrest Gump, which I thought was ok the first time I saw it. It's much better than "ok."

Fight Club. Oh wait, this one doesn't count because it was immediately one of my favorite films. But it still gets better and better with each viewing.

Spice World. See, I missed many of the subtextual nuances the first five times I saw it. Then, I realized that the filmmakers and screenwriters involved in the project were subtly referencing T.S. Eliot's Wasteland, and Thomas Carlyle's Sartor Resartus (The Tailor Re-tailored).

Brilliant.

swede123 09-23-2005 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Napolean Dynamite, probably because of all the hype. First viewing, I was like "what the f*ck?" Each subsequent time, it gets funnier and funnier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call. This was the first one that came to mind.

Swede

diebitter 09-23-2005 08:09 AM

Napoleon Dynamite - I still can't work out if the dancing was aboslutely brilliant or totally and utterly spazzy. One of the beauties of the film.

I liked Pedro's cousins best - they rocked!

jthegreat 09-23-2005 08:43 AM

Tombstone.

imported_The Vibesman 09-23-2005 08:48 AM

Miller's Crossing.
Last Man Standing (with Bruce Willis)