Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Wynn 150-300 -- I hate limit hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=308625)

The Gift Of Gab 08-05-2005 05:24 PM

Wynn 150-300 -- I hate limit hold\'em

I accidentally played limit hold'em in Vegas. It was early morning and five-handed.

A drunk folds and I raise from the CO with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. A Swede folds, SB 3-bets, BB folds, and I call.

The nerdy SB has a shiny WSOP bracelet on his wrist and obvious self-esteem issues. He and the drunk have been doing the classic nerd vs. jock [censored]-talking, and WSOP is upset. He has been 3-betting liberally preflop in and out of position. Earlier he checkraised me and folded to a 3-bet on a paired flop heads-up. There is a fair amount of distrust in the game but no one except the drunk is playing wildly.

I have been opening quite a bit and he has seen me play some flush draws fast, but I have not been getting especially out of line. When I sat down I tried to play no-limit, which confused everybody.

Flop J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

WSOP bets, I raise (why can't I go all-in?), He 3-bets, I 4-bet and he calls.

Turn 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checkcheck.

River 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He bets and I call.

bicyclekick 08-05-2005 05:33 PM

Re: Wynn 150-300 -- I hate limit hold\'em

Don't like it that much.

If you're going to 4 bet, bet the turn. Maybe he'll decide his 7's are no good and muck. Not likely but if he's got overs too you're putting the preasure on. If he check raises you no big deal you have plenty of outs. I also think the river isn't an auto call really. He knows that if you were on busted spades you're not calling, so unless he has something like 76 himself, he's not going to bet. Like AK/q/T etc or something he's almost surely not betting. I just think this way of playing a hand might seem fun and cute but really I don't think it's the optimal way to play it.

random 08-05-2005 05:35 PM

I would bet the turn and take a free showdown unimproved.

stoxtrader 08-05-2005 05:38 PM

I don't love the turn check. getting him to fold a 6 outer is well worth the price of getting check raised when behind as you have some equity on money that goes in on the turn. yuo also actually have a decent chance at folding a better hand either right there or with a river bet. The pot is big enough now that losing all bluffing equity not worth saving a bet/getting a free card.

mach3 08-05-2005 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would bet the turn and take a free showdown unimproved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

[ QUOTE ]
When I sat down I tried to play no-limit, which confused everybody

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

Paluka 08-05-2005 05:46 PM

I think a much better line here is to just call his flop 3 bet and then to raise him on the turn. Now he might actually fold something.

andyfox 08-05-2005 05:53 PM

An accidental game with a drunk, a Swede, and a WSOP bracelet wearer with self-esteem issues. Love it.

Just curious: would your hand in that situation against that guy merit an all-in bet on the flop in no-limit? Thanks.

Senor Choppy 08-05-2005 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a much better line here is to just call his flop 3 bet and then to raise him on the turn. Now he might actually fold something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with Paluka.

That turn check is awful.

slavic 08-05-2005 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An accidental game with a drunk, a Swede, and a WSOP bracelet wearer with self-esteem issues. Love it.

Just curious: would your hand in that situation against that guy merit an all-in bet on the flop in no-limit? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've put it all in on worse. a lot worse.... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

felson 08-05-2005 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a post for Andy