Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Need advice, to play or not to play in Stars 500k tourney (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=290015)

Brad F. 07-10-2005 02:42 PM

Need advice, to play or not to play in Stars 500k tourney

Hi y'all. I just won a two-table SAG on stars to qualify for the Stars big Sunday tournament. While I'm extremely excited to wint he satellite, I need advice whether ot not to play in this or not.

I've been playing for about 9 months now, and have a profit of, prepare yourself, about 100 bucks. Nothing huge, but still.

MTT's are my best game though. I have made $1270 while buying in for $784. Not a bad ROI. I am also at about 9% ROI in SAG's.

I am a -player in cash games. Have lost most of my money in NLHE on Stars and UB. I struggle with EV, FE and implied odds in cash games mightily. I can do pot odds well, but implied odds aren't my strong suit per se.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Do you think in the long run it is +EV for me to play in the tourney today given that I struggle with cash games? I'm sure I would turn the tournament money into some usable cash, but considering the possible payouts in the big one, it's tempting to me.

I guess I'm just looking for someone to convince me one way or another. Help. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Brad

wegs the wegs 07-10-2005 02:44 PM

Re: Need advice, to play or not to play in Stars 500k tourney

Forget EV and have some fun today.

SaintAces 07-10-2005 02:45 PM

Best Advice

give it to me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'd say play the tourney. Have Fun.

sgk31 07-10-2005 02:50 PM

If you really need the $215, take it. It is likely that you will not win anything if you play, but it's a great experience.

trainslayer 07-10-2005 02:50 PM

If your a *very* good tourney player, play the big one. If not it's basically a crap shoot, unregister and use the money to play in lower buy in MTT's. You can probably make more playing several low buy in's IMO.

TheTimeIsUp 07-10-2005 02:51 PM

Agreed. I think EV for MTTs is bs. Play it, it will change you a lot.

Brad F. 07-10-2005 02:54 PM

Alright guys, I am in! And super excited to be so! I tried getting my wife to give me advice, and she was no help. "210 dollars is a lot of money, but it isn't really your money, so you could play in it and win more money, but 210 is a lot of money...."

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Gl today guys.

Brad

wegs the wegs 07-10-2005 02:54 PM

Alright I'll give my response a little bit more density.

Best advice is that if you want to get better at cards you have to play, especially the big tournaments like this one. If you have the time to play I say play. You will probably lose, but hey, so what, you tried.

Next option would be let someone else play the seat for you and split the winnings or whatever you guys decide on. That way a better player will play the seat and have a little bit better chance of cashing. If he does, you both make money. If he doesn't, you might be a bit frustrated but you have to reason it as the better man did the job, win or lose.

Third, something I don't know anything about, is the turning it into tournament bucks. Am I understanding that right? Play a few smaller ones, which increase the cash for cash, but it will be a much much smaller payout.

SossMan 07-10-2005 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright guys, I am in! And super excited to be so! I tried getting my wife to give me advice, and she was no help. "210 dollars is a lot of money, but it isn't really your money, so you could play in it and win more money, but 210 is a lot of money...."

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Gl today guys.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like you should unregister.

TonyS0pran0 07-10-2005 04:21 PM

I say unregister and keep the T$.... You sound like you dont have a huge roll to work with so playing in some of the smaller $20-$50 tourneys might work out better. This big one they have every Sunday is a total crapshoot. With 2500+ people and a horrid structure at the end it just turns into an all in pre flop suckout festival. Good luck whatever you decide...