Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Explain this about the random number generators (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=398867)

12-15-2005 04:03 PM

Re: Explain this about the random number generators

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, The constant shuffle premise actually makes the hand "more" random then the B&M preshuffle.

[/ QUOTE ]

How so?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any human shuffling is technically not completely random. This is because we don't shuffle the deck perfectly. Professional dealers probably shuffle better than the donk in your friend's home game. For example, 2 Q's might might stay next to each other in the deck even after multiple human shuffles. In reality, this minor non-randomness doesn't make much of a difference; it's close enough that we don't care. The RNG comes as close to truly random as you can get.

12-15-2005 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, The constant shuffle premise actually makes the hand "more" random then the B&M preshuffle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How so?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd really like to see the answer to this one, if someone's got a moment. Though obviously, you get a more random shuffle with a more unique RNG.

12-15-2005 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any human shuffling is technically not completely random. This is because we don't shuffle the deck perfectly. Professional dealers probably shuffle better than the donk in your friend's home game. For example, 2 Q's might might stay next to each other in the deck even after multiple human shuffles. In reality, this minor non-randomness doesn't make much of a difference; it's close enough that we don't care. The RNG comes as close to truly random as you can get.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but not the answer to the question. puckboy was suggesting that the constant shuffle was "more random" than the one-time shuffle, but both are with RNGs.

puckboy 12-15-2005 04:14 PM

yup that's exactly what i was trying to say, both are random, one might be slightly better than the other, but they are both close enough to make me feel comfortable

12-15-2005 04:16 PM

Yeah . . . I'm still wondering why one is better than the other.

WhiteWolf 12-15-2005 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would argue against this. Although it doesn't make a difference in what you should do because a random card is a random card, I'd rather play at a site that doesn't know what the turn is going to be until it deals the turn. IMO this makes it harder to be hacked. If the poker room doesn't know what card is coming next, a hacker can't know either. Of course if they've already hacked the site then they probably know your cards, but at least they don't get to know what's coming.

[/ QUOTE ]

There has been a case where a pre-generated deck, combined with a bad RN generator, has led to an exploit (from the Zoo FAQ):

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/entdev/article.php/616221

However, as a fallout of this incident, most sites have invested heavily in much more robust RNG, so the likelyhood of a pre-generated deck being exploitable is probably small.

gabyyyyy 12-15-2005 04:32 PM

LOL..

Random number generator.

You guys are funny.

Like anything online is random.

mattw 12-15-2005 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL..

Random number generator.

You guys are funny.

Like anything online is random.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quote:

LOL...

That site is rediculous.

Even I fit in over there.

FYP

soko 12-15-2005 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been wondering about this too. For some reason, I would feel better about folding what would have been a winning hand if the turn/river were generated just before they were dealt. If the order of all 52 cards were generated before the hand was dealt, I'd be kicking myself harder, knowing for sure that I should have stayed in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you see the flaw in this logic?

If you had called it would have changed the whole dynamic of the hand and therefore the random number generator would have generated a different card to fall on the river anyways.

So you might have hit if you called, but you folded so you didn't hit.

jman220 12-15-2005 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been wondering about this too. For some reason, I would feel better about folding what would have been a winning hand if the turn/river were generated just before they were dealt. If the order of all 52 cards were generated before the hand was dealt, I'd be kicking myself harder, knowing for sure that I should have stayed in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post indicates a fundamental misunderstanding about the game of poker. Read SSHE. If you have already read it, then read it again.