Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Curtains 1: AKs from the blinds (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=405281)

sofere 12-26-2005 05:15 AM

Curtains 1: AKs from the blinds

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

CO (t855)
CO+1 (t975)
MP3 (t1060)
MP2 (t1000)
MP1 (t1030)
UTG+1 (t1140)
UTG (t1000)
Hero (t1000)
SB (t970)
Button (t970)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, CO+1 calls t15, <font color="red">CO raises t30</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, Hero calls t15, CO+1 calls t15

Flop: (t100) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t80</font>, <font color="gray">CO+1 folds</font>, CO calls t80

Turn: (t260) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero...

curtains 12-26-2005 05:21 AM

Re: Curtains 1: AKs from the blinds

This is an interesting hand from start to finish...

12-26-2005 05:22 AM

I would re-raise preflop. Is this a leak?

45suited 12-26-2005 05:23 AM

Oh man, that can't be a good turn card for us. I'm putting the brakes on. Call me weak tight. What are we ahead of here other than some random PP? Check-call a small bet, fold to any real heat.

sofere 12-26-2005 05:24 AM

I agree I was gonna post the rest later...but your probably right, best to see in entirety.

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

CO (t855)
CO+1 (t975)
MP3 (t1060)
MP2 (t1000)
MP1 (t1030)
UTG+1 (t1140)
UTG (t1000)
Hero (t1000)
SB (t970)
Button (t970)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, CO+1 calls t15, <font color="red">CO raises t30</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, Hero calls t15, CO+1 calls t15

Flop: (t100) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t80</font>, <font color="gray">CO+1 folds</font>, CO calls t80

Turn: (t260) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, CO checks

River: (t260) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t125</font>, <font color="red">CO raises t250</font>, Hero...

curtains 12-26-2005 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would re-raise preflop. Is this a leak?

[/ QUOTE ]

No its not.

sofere 12-26-2005 05:53 AM

I think this hand becomes much easier with a PF re-raise to about 75-100ish. As it stands, the flop bet is mandatory...I was thinkin checkraise but I use that way too much, and a free card can be disastrous, plus it doesn't give you that much more info.

The turn card is friggin scary, but I think you gotta announce that you like you're hand here and put in another 150 or so. After that, I think i'm done with it.

How's your line if he bets out on the turn? Edit: Say 150-175 for instance.

curtains 12-26-2005 05:55 AM

Umm...I dunno its a tough situation. It would depend how I felt, I'd either fold or flat call, with the intention of checking the river and folding to a bet. The thing is that if he has just an ace he will often check behind on the river (thinking that his ace is good), so I can find out if my hand is good cheap. Anyway I have to think about this hand more....But for now I gotta goto sleep [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

ZeroPointMachine 12-26-2005 06:12 AM

This hand makes my head hurt.

I have no idea what a min-raise after a limper could possibly mean at the 215 level.

However, if he is ahead of you after the turn(two pair or a set) that board seems way too dangerous for him to give you a free card given that he assumes you have some piece of it since you took the lead on the flop.

I would have probably checked the river and called any bet.

I have to call his raise on the end.

Then I probably bang my head against my monitor and mutter something about sucking at poker......

EasilyFound 12-26-2005 12:06 PM

I don't play a whole lot on line anymore, and I did play at the lower levels. The miniraise in that spot is odd. It is hard to interpret. What I've noticed a lot when I play is that people will mini raise w/AK. But I'm at a loss about what your opponent has here after seeing how the betting developed to this point.

tom441lbk 12-26-2005 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh man, that can't be a good turn card for us. I'm putting the brakes on. Call me weak tight. What are we ahead of here other than some random PP? Check-call a small bet, fold to any real heat.

[/ QUOTE ]

weak tightie

I play this pretty much the same if I am smooth calling pf, but I definitely like putting a reraise in here.

lbk

45suited 12-26-2005 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

weak tightie

I play this pretty much the same if I am smooth calling pf, but I definitely like putting a reraise in here.

lbk

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't talking about pre-flop, I was talking about the turn. Don't tell me you're getting aggressive on that turn card.

12-26-2005 12:59 PM

I like the smooth call preflop. It keeps villains in the dark about what we are holding, keeps the pot small given that we are OOP, and prevents the weird mini-raiser from getting an opportunity to reraise a monster pre-flop (particularly given that we are suited and we want the opportunity to flop a nut flush draw and potentially stack the weird mini-raiser if he's holding something he can't let go of).

sofere 12-26-2005 01:04 PM

Unfortunately it also keeps you in the dark about what he's holding. I guess it would probably work better on Axx flops, but not flops like this. Its not something I would do regularly, but I can see a place for it every so often to mix things up

12-26-2005 01:05 PM

As for post-flop, I also agree with curtains' entire line and would play it the same way. I would call the reraise on the river because I'm getting something like 5:1 odds and there are many hands I might be ahead of given villain's line. Villain's check behind on the turn is absolutely bizarre and I have no idea what he could turn over here that beats us, unless he's just a poor player.

12-26-2005 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately it also keeps you in the dark about what he's holding. I guess it would probably work better on Axx flops, but not flops like this. Its not something I would do regularly, but I can see a place for it every so often to mix things up

[/ QUOTE ]

At this stage of an SNG I'd rather be playing a small pot in the dark then building a big pot OOP against a hand that very well could be better than mine. Don't forget if your raise preflop you are increasing the amount of any continuation bet you are going to throw out there on 2 out of 3 flops that miss your hand.

KingDan 12-26-2005 01:09 PM

Assuming I don't raise preflop I play it the same.

I think in theory river should be folded but in practice I never fold it.

Vuron00 12-26-2005 01:10 PM

I'm having a real tough time putting villain on a hand. I have no idea what the min-raise means. It seems from the action that he is afraid of the board as much as you. I can't see him giving you 2 free cards after the flop and turn if he had 2 pair or a set. KQ and maybe AT seems to be the most likely cards he would hold unless he's the kind to raise with low PP in late position. It would be a real killer if he hit a set on the river.

I'd have to call this river just for information.

12-26-2005 01:17 PM

Yeah, I cannot put this guy on a hand if he is anything other than a donk. Maybe I am the donk and will learn something when the results are posted.

EasilyFound 12-27-2005 09:14 AM

what did villan have? anybody know?

curtains 12-27-2005 02:34 PM

he had KT for the nuts. I hate calling these river raises because they have you beat so often, but I couldn't find the gumption to fold. If only I had found it in myself to check again on the river, but it was looking too much like he had a weaker ace. Once I get minraised on the river I know there is a good chance Im behind but I really want to see what the hell he has to play in such a manner. Of course Im also getting good odds in case hes a loon, which they sometimes are. I wouldnt be shocked if the river call is a bit -EV though against a typical opponent.

yvesaint 12-27-2005 02:36 PM

against an average opponent the river call is most likely -EV by a tiny margin. however the river bet is very very easy, his most likely holding is Ax, which calls a bet but checks behind a lot

however against any slightly aggro or donkish opponent, the river call is probably +EV.

12-27-2005 02:55 PM

Yep, villain's a donk.

EasilyFound 12-27-2005 03:52 PM

Thanks for posting the answer. It was hard to imagine that you were ahead when he mini-raised on the river, but putting him on KT . . . hmph . . .