Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   options (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=338112)

brick 09-16-2005 05:20 PM

Re: options

[ QUOTE ]
i cant see how check/calling can be a good play.

[/ QUOTE ]

MP won't bet AQ, AJ, Two pair, or 8T even 1 in 18 times?

DeeJ 09-16-2005 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're beat on this river every time. check call and fold to a checkraise. betting and then folding is nuts. see a showdown for 1 bet or dont see it at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

flawless_victory 09-16-2005 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i cant see how check/calling can be a good play.

[/ QUOTE ]

MP won't bet AQ, AJ, Two pair, or 8T even 1 in 18 times?

[/ QUOTE ]what? i didnt say check/fold... i said bet it!
i dont think he raises these hands 1:18, no.

elindauer 09-16-2005 07:33 PM

All signs suggest we were ahead on the turn. The BB probably had a made hand, so he's no concern. With no information given about MP2, I'm value betting my setting every time, although I will not be surprised to be raised.

If BB raises, it's an easy call. If it's raised back by MP2, I'm much less happy, but call because again I don't have the information necessary to make the fold.

I think check-calling and bet-folding are all reasonable options though. I find it interesting that so many responses have claimed one or another option to be ridiculous.

Good luck.
Eric

1800GAMBLER 09-16-2005 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i voted bet/fold, cause thats what id do... if it was a live 30, id prob check/fold, but on the net i cant see putting in zero bets on the end here. i cant see how check/calling can be a good play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I seen no advantages of checkcalling in the hand, yet i was so so so sure i was beat i checked it without a plan, stupid of me. MP3 turned 59. other guy 97 and i miss out on $120 because of stupidity. Betcalling seems dumb too, i'm surprised at the poll results.

bdmcgraw 09-16-2005 08:29 PM

Yes I think it may be necessary to account for a raise to scare you off the pot

elindauer 09-16-2005 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed. I seen no advantages of checkcalling in the hand, yet i was so so so sure i was beat i checked it without a plan, stupid of me. MP3 turned 59. other guy 97 and i miss out on $120 because of stupidity. Betcalling seems dumb too, i'm surprised at the poll results.

[/ QUOTE ]

So let me get this straight. Check-calling has no advantages. Betting is clearly correct, but calling a raise with top set against an unknown getting as much as 21:1 is dumb. Does that about sum up your position on this hand?

flawless_victory 09-16-2005 09:05 PM

youre mocking him?

elindauer 09-17-2005 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
youre mocking him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't get anything past you, can I?

Yes, I'm mocking him. He's claimed that bet-calling is "dumb" and "insane" and that "check-call has absolutely no advantages over bet-fold". As usual with such statements, they are exaggerated to make the author feel more confident in his position.

We have no player information on MP2. There is no way to know whether 21:1, closing the closing the action, is enough to call the river. I suggest that against an unknown it is. Either way, calling a raise is certainly reasonable. To descibe a call for 1 bet closing the action in a huge pot with top set as "dumb" or "insane" is, well, you get the picture.

-Eric

vmacosta 09-17-2005 03:59 AM

I also think its def bet/call (given no reads). There are 2 flush draws on the turn and its plenty reasonable to assume mp could have either of these as well as plenty of other goofy pair/str8 draw hands (T8, A8, A5, 98, etc). While the latter are less likely, given no reads they are definitely possible. BB is likely badly dominated by you and I'd really like to get one last bet from him. If mp raises and BB folds, I'd call while simultaneously wondering if there's anything I can beat. But at that point the pot is monstrous and I have absolutely no read on mp so I still call. As for the other options, c/f < c/c < b/f < b/c