Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   I have no idea if this was a river bluff raise or not (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=375480)

RunDownHouse 11-10-2005 02:20 AM

I have no idea if this was a river bluff raise or not

Villian is a little loose, a little passive. IOW, nothing really stands out.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...

The turn donk was so weird I felt I had to continue. Then I saw the K pop up on the river and thought I could fold out a J or a higher PP. Should I have popped the turn and made that the last bets I put in? Looking back, I can't imagine what I was thinking on the turn.

DMBFan23 11-10-2005 02:26 AM

Re: I have no idea if this was a river bluff raise or not

whatever you do with A high could compliment this nicely

RunDownHouse 11-10-2005 09:42 AM

Bump for day crew.

Wynton 11-10-2005 09:59 AM

I know you're asking about the river, but the turn is interesting to me. I too get confused by this donk bet, and in your circumstances, I usually end up folding. But I'm interesting in hearing whether other people think this is too weak.

And if it makes sense to fold the turn, does it follow that this type of board (if it's possible to generalize) is a good one for bluffing with a donk bet, from the villain's perspective?

spydog 11-10-2005 10:13 AM

Slightly passive opponents don't make good folders.

Fold to the turn donk. He's got a K/J/5 enough for this to be a straight fold. If he doesn't have any of those then he has a flush and/or straight draw with at least 1, but probably 2 overcards, so his equity when behind isn't all that bad.

Winning every pot is a pipe dream.

11-10-2005 10:24 AM

Yeah fold the turn.

11-10-2005 10:48 AM

I see these turn donk bets from moderately competent players as often meaning they hit top or middle pair, but the 2-flush scares them. When the turn is a blank, they feel comfortable betting out because they really don't want you to get a free card.

I don't see a "little passive" player betting that river without a hand that beats you. How often does that river raise push out a better hand? I really don't know.

wackjob 11-10-2005 12:11 PM

fold it on the turn. pot is still small and you are so very often beat.

krimson 11-10-2005 12:17 PM

I think that donk on the turn means he has some piece of the board almost 100% of the time. Any piece of the board has you beat.

Wynton 11-10-2005 12:33 PM

Let me repeat my earlier question: since we all agree that turn-donk bet means villain has something, could that bet be a good bluff too?

In other words, if you're in villain's spot without much of a hand - and you knew that hero was smart and attentive - might you try the donk as a bluff?